New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - New MacBook ends in tears

Thread Closed

GuiGuy

GuiGuy is on a distinguished road

I'm new to Macs, but a long time Unix/ Linux/ Windoze user and programmer.

We have bought our daughter a new MacBook (MB466X/A). When it arrived yesterday she powered it up, configured it and was using it for several hours (power plugged in, battery is charged).

Today she switched it on and it goes to the Start up screen. The loading icon just sits there and nothing happens. The thing never loads the desktop.

We've done all the testing described in the hand book. The Hardware test says all is OK.

So, here we are. My daughter in tears, me wanting to say "I told you so" but feeling too sad for her and biting my tongue. Given the Apple hype, it is very disappointing.

I am hoping some of you here can help, but I sense we are going to have the thing back.

TIA.
GuiGuy

Nevermind. I think the thing is stuffed. It won't even load the OS install disk. Same symptom; apple splash screen powers up and then the little spinning wheel does its thing as long as you like.

My suspicions about Apple and Macs are confirmed. And I am not looking forward to having to deal with the "Apple Shop"

For $2k (AU), it's left a very bitter taste.

Cheers
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Take it back. If you're going to an 'Apple' owned store, shouldn't be any issue. They'll likely give you a new one.

You have had nothing confirmed. A piece of electronics from any manufacturer you could possibly name is likely to have something go wrong on occasion, either due to mishandling during shipping or otherwise. I've had to return a $4,000 Sony TV that quit after 2 days. Worked for Dell doing Tech support and dealt with a whole bunch of new machines that had issues. The hardware inside is the same hardware used in Windows machines.

There are quite a few Microsoft certified and long time Windows users that have switched around here that would beg to differ with you. Myself being one.

Having said that, a Mac is not for everyone. Not willing to learn something new and ready for a change, best advice is to take it back and go get a Windows machine.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
GuiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Take it back. If you're going to an 'Apple' owned store, shouldn't be any issue. They'll likely give you a new one.
Yea.

Quote:
You have had nothing confirmed. A piece of electronics from any manufacturer you could possibly name is likely to have something go wrong on occasion, either due to mishandling during shipping or otherwise. I've had to return a $4,000 Sony TV that quit after 2 days. Worked for Dell doing Tech support and dealt with a whole bunch of new machines that had issues.
If it were me, I wouldn't be buying Sony again

Look, I don't want to turn this into a debate. I just feel for my daughter who really had her heart set on this for Christmas. It took us two weeks to get the thing delivered so I doubt we'll have a replacement by Christmas (we live in country Australia).

What frustrates me that if it were a PC I could fix it in an hour. With the macbook I can't. Not yet, anyway.

Cheers and all the best.
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiGuy View Post
Yea.

If it were me, I wouldn't be buying Sony again

Look, I don't want to turn this into a debate. I just feel for my daughter who really had her heart set on this for Christmas. It took us two weeks to get the thing delivered so I doubt we'll have a replacement by Christmas (we live in country Australia).

What frustrates me that if it were a PC I could fix it in an hour. With the macbook I can't. Not yet, anyway.

Cheers and all the best.
It sounds as though it's a hardware defect. I doubt you'd be able to fix a dodgy motherboard on a PC laptop either...

If it's a software issue then booting off the install discs would work, but you've ruled that out.

Well done on not rubbing it on though - there's nothing worse than going "against" your parent's preferences and having them rub it in.
GuiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
It sounds as though it's a hardware defect. I doubt you'd be able to fix a dodgy motherboard on a PC laptop either...
If I don't have the parts in my workshop, I'd have to travel 50k. My nearest Apple Shop is over 200k. The nearest "authorised apple agent" I wouldn't give the time of day.

But let's leave it. We'll box it up and courier it back.

Cheers
Khris

Khris has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD

Quote:
Given the Apple hype, it is very disappointing.
And opening a DOA Windows laptop at Christmas wouldn't be disappointing as well??

Quote:
My suspicions about Apple and Macs are confirmed.
And what suspicions are those? That Apple equipment can occasionally fail, just like any other manufacturers equipment? Should we now refer to you as Sherlock Holmes?

Quote:
Look, I don't want to turn this into a debate.
A debate would be constructive......your comments have been nothing close to constructive.

Quote:
What frustrates me that if it were a PC I could fix it in an hour
Sometimes we don't always get our way pumpkin.

Quote:
If I don't have the parts in my workshop, I'd have to travel 50k. My nearest Apple Shop is over 200k. The nearest "authorised apple agent" I wouldn't give the time of day.
So it sounds like you're only here to whine and have no desire to actually help your daughter get her laptop fixed. Looks good on you. Next you'll be breaking out the "I told you so's" to further cement your case.

You're destined to hate Apple products. Best to return it now and save your daughter the hassle of having to deal with YOU when/if something does go wrong. That I'm afraid will be much worse than dealing with Apple.
Solemony

Solemony is on a distinguished road

Just return it for a new replacement..Not every apple product is perfect. And I agree with Khris comment. Instead of here to whine about the product..Why don't you think of a way to fix the problem? Like returning it for a new one?

~Every thousand mile journey starts with a single step~
batsy

batsy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook, iPod Classic

Don't leave your daughter out on a limb because you have a bias against Macs. If she wanted a Mac so much, I would be quick to get a replacement, and I'd bet 100 bucks that that problem doesn't happen on the new one you get.
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khris View Post
And opening a DOA Windows laptop at Christmas wouldn't be disappointing as well??

And what suspicions are those? That Apple equipment can occasionally fail, just like any other manufacturers equipment? Should we now refer to you as Sherlock Holmes?

A debate would be constructive......your comments have been nothing close to constructive.

Sometimes we don't always get our way pumpkin.

So it sounds like you're only here to whine and have no desire to actually help your daughter get her laptop fixed. Looks good on you. Next you'll be breaking out the "I told you so's" to further cement your case.

You're destined to hate Apple products. Best to return it now and save your daughter the hassle of having to deal with YOU when/if something does go wrong. That I'm afraid will be much worse than dealing with Apple.
I think you are being a little harsh. If he wants to think that way about Apple, then let him.

I seriously doubt even if it was a PC machine he would have been able to fix it. Seeing as this was HDD related.
Khris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I think you are being a little harsh.
I'm being realistic.

Quote:
If he wants to think that way about Apple, then let him.
So he can think what he wants, but I get called "harsh" for thinking what I want to? A little hypocritical, no?

Quote:
I seriously doubt even if it was a PC machine he would have been able to fix it. Seeing as this was HDD related.
His definition of "being able to fix it (PC)" is probably the same way to fix a defective Apple product......RETURN/EXCHANGE IT!
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khris View Post
I'm being realistic.

So he can think what he wants, but I get called "harsh" for thinking what I want to? A little hypocritical, no?

His definition of "being able to fix it (PC)" is probably the same way to fix a defective Apple product......RETURN/EXCHANGE IT!
I'm not saying that you can't say whatever you want, but it really sounds mean spirited and like you are flamming him.
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

To the OP, Did you hold down the C key when trying to boot from the OSX DVD? It will not boot from the DVD unless you do.

Since it's just a day or so old, Take it back. Do not even mess with it. It's a defective machine and they owe you a new one. Happens with every brand.
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Wow everyone feels like causing trouble lately.

GuiGuy, have you contacted Apple by phone yet? They usually will send you a box to send it back in as this hopefully counts as DOA. If you ask I'm sure they will do overnight delivery for you too. Apple is really good about things like that.
Khris

Quote:
I'm not saying that you can't say whatever you want
Your comment could be construed as such.

Quote:
but it really sounds mean spirited and like you are flamming him.
The guy wanted to prove that Apple is garbage and that his "suspicions about Apple are confirmed". He had no intention of looking at things from an objective point of view and realizing that not just Apple machines can sometimes be a dud. He even said that he held back his "I told you so's" so as not to further hurt his daughter's feelings.......but you know he wanted to say it.

It's hard to feel sympathetic for people who will only be happy watching something fail to support their own ideals. Then to say that he's not looking forward to dealing with the "Apple Shop" to get a replacement......he's got no desire to have a working Apple laptop in his daughter's possession. He wants this to be a lesson to her that you shouldn't buy Apple and god only knows why.

Thread Closed

« Anyone have the new macbookpro? | Online Stores for battery replacement? »