New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New Idea

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ripped85

ok..i was about to order the 15" pb but then i thought of something really cool...i was thinking i should get the 12" because whatever u can do on a 15 u can do on a 12 really (performance wise) and then i would buy the 20" apple cinema monitor so i can pop the dvd in my pb and watch it with that monitor...would that work? cause if it would, im going with my new idea
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I don't see why it wouldnt work... Although the only reason I went with my 15" powerbook is because I will not have a monitor hooked up to it more often then not.. and that's a bit of screen real estate that I would be giving up.. plus eventually I can get a nice 20" apple display, not right away.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I would go with the 15 inch. I am comparing my iBook with my Powerbook, and I like the larger screen. I am not looking at the resolution, but the size. I can have more items displayed at one time on a Powerbook's larger screen than I can on the iBook. As Murlyn stated you can plug an external monitor on both of them.
QUOTE Thanks
Ripped85

i understand what your saying, but most of the time i will be in my room and the cinema display is nice because i plan on watching alot of dvds...and for when im on the road, i dont plan on paying games, only some word processing
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Sound to me you want the 15 in Powerbook.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all

*laugh rman* Ok here is what I do.. I have a powerbook 15" when i want to watch movies.. I just watch them on my tv since I have my powerbook setup so that I can do that by just sharing screens with the tv.. it works beautifully! If you are in your room all the time.. then why in the world are you getting a laptop? You can get more power for cheaper getting a desktop.. Laptop is for portability plus maybe if you have room concerns, but if you are thinking about purchasing a 20" display then you probably do not have room concerns..
QUOTE Thanks
rman

Now that I have a DVD player in each room that has a TV I don't use my Powerbook to play moviesw any more, unless I am on the road.
QUOTE Thanks
pedXing

Is a 12'' confortable with using photoshop, flash, dreamweaver, etc?
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

I would think not, since whenever I use any of those programs you stated.. I want my screen to be as big as possible. Now with my programming.. it doesnt matter as much, but graphics.. big big BIG!
QUOTE Thanks
maikutis

maikutis is on a distinguished road

Hey, I think it's a great idea. Maybe I'm biased, as I have the 12" as well. But, I pretty much do the same thing. I'm highly portable with the 12" (note that I do use it constantly, away from home/office, so the 12" was important in that sense), and I watch movies/tv on my larger desk monitor or tv. Works great. Yeah, the screen is small, but to tell you the truth, it's worth it for the portability/batterylife/ease of use/everything.

By the way, my 12" is a 1Ghz model, and I run FCP 3 as well as photoshop. No, it isn't the fastest and shiniest, but it still tears apart these apps. Or, maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

Hope this helps.

maikutis
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

I love the 12" and wouldn't ever get another powerbook. When I graduate, and start my professional career, I'll get another 12" and then a powermac. Pure mobility and pur staying power.
QUOTE Thanks
IndianPowerbook

I suggest going with the 15 inch. you asked if it can handle all of those programs---it can. esp when ur on the road u want something that works nice and can handle all those problems (visibility issue is greater on the 15 inch because of its resolution, where as the 12 inch is more for college students and mobiel professionals---smaller is better attitude)

the 15 inch isnt that much bigger than the 12 inch and has a better video card and better screen.

also the 20 inch display would be nicer if used with a powermac

just my 0.02 cents
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedXing
Is a 12'' confortable with using photoshop, flash, dreamweaver, etc?
No, not at all. I'm using a new 12" Powerbook and while I love it to death, the screen resolution just isn't sufficient for major apps like Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Additionally, the wrist area of the 12" gets unbearably hot and eventually I can't type on it anymore. The 15" however, gets hot in different places, and is much more bearable.

For the reasons above, I'm selling my 12" Powerbook and buying a new 15" in a few weeks.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

My dad has a PB 15'' it also get pretty hot while running

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« i'm getting tired of all these small dumb things | Making the "switch" »