New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - 6GB of ram

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

just read in the jan issue of mac world and it is saying that a company found out that the new alu MBP can support 6GB of ram one 4GB stick and one 2GB stick (no people you cant put two 4GB sticks it doesn't work) company that makes the 4GB stick is called Ramjet at Ramjet.com down side the stick is $649 buckaroo's

tell me that you guys think?

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

To much money: $600 for 6GB. I'll wait a few months and buy after Snow Leopard comes out. RAM may be cheaper by then and SL + firmware updates might support/enable more than 6GB.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

That's nice and all but do we really need that much RAM? I have 4GB right now and I barely even have 2GB active. Plus for that pricetag I could have bought an iPod. >_>"
QUOTE Thanks
Quicktime_GT

Quicktime_GT is on a distinguished road

I've considered it as well..

The only reason being that I'm an Industrial Sciences major, and I deal with autoCad and cnc software from time to time. I just want to have enough ram to run the software when the time comes..

over 600 is ridiculous though.. I think i'll just do 4gb for now.. The cheapest place i've found is here:
http://www.memorytogo.com/Apple/MacBook/NEW(Aluminum)2.4GHzIntelCore2Duo13Screen(1066DDR3P C38500SODIMMs).htm
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Bear in mind that unless your application is 64 bit, it can only ever use 2 gig of RAM no matter how much you have installed

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
Bear in mind that unless your application is 64 bit, it can only ever use 2 gig of RAM no matter how much you have installed
Curious question here... can multiple open apps use the 2GB of RAM each? ie: Application A 2GB + Application B 2GB + Application C 2GB, etc... I'd hope so. More than 4GB might be useful if you have a few memory hogs open or perhaps are using fast user switching while multiple users snagging big chunks of RAM. MY wife and I are usually both logged on to the MBP with Safari, iTunes, iCal, etc open at the same time + whatever else we are actually doing on the Mac like iPhoto, MTR, Office 2004, etc...
Thanks,
Dave

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Futch

Futch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM

Why would you spend half the cost of the cheaper macbook on a stick of ram. As requiem said: i rarely use half of my 4GB Ram and that only happens when I run VMware Fusion or have a myriad of programs running.

Things you can buy instead of a 4GB stick of RAM ($650):

A PS3 ($399) AND an XBox 360 ($199) (or Wii - $250)

Sony Bravia 32 inch Flat Screen 720p ($550)

LG 32 inch Flat Screen 720p ($550)

32GB Ipod Touch ($370, Amazon) + 8GB ipod Nano ($140) + $140 on iTunes

Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP ($650)

Onkyo TX-SR806 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver ($633)

iPhone 16GB ($299) + 3 months phone service (approx. $300-350)

25-27 Blu-ray movies ($600-$650)

and the list goes on....

I got a little carried away, but you get the point. 4GB stick of ram = Baker act....

MacBook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM
iPhone 3G 16GB Black
iPod Nano 2GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro Screen isn't turning on? Blank? What's going on?! | Trackpad Lifting Up »