New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Upgrades on a MA700LLA, ram and HDD.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

krrose27

krrose27 is on a distinguished road

Ok so I've had my white macbook for some time now. He's got 1.5gb ram after one stick died a stuffed back in the original ( I KNOW THIS BAD). I also have the stock 80gb HDD in it.

Crucical's ram selector says it only supports 2gb of ram but I have read else where that you can put more in it (up to 4gb), can anyone tell me how much it can support?

For HDD's im looking at the Western Digital Scorpio Black WD1600BEKT ( 7200rpm 160gb 16MB cachw and sata 3gb). I know the machine is 1.5gb but wd says it is backward compatiable with 1.5gb so i think this will work but I read in a review that some guy says his machine doesnt have the power to support a 7200rpm drive anyone know about the macbooks?

I have a MA7000LL/A White MacBook from mid 2006 running 10.5.5
QUOTE Thanks
stal1n77

stal1n77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig

The Western Digital drive should be fine in a macbook. I have the exact same drive in my Mac Mini (also has 1.5 gb SATA), and the macbook is certainly capable powering for a 7200 rpm drive. I bought mine on newegg for 70$ with free shipping Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Black WD1600BEKT 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - Laptop Hard Drives. As far as a I know the Macbook Core duo's from mid 2006 only support 2 gigs of ram, you would need a core2duo to get 3 gigs or more.
QUOTE Thanks
krrose27

krrose27 is on a distinguished road

it is a core 2 duo.. I picked it up right after they switched to core 2 duos...
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stal1n77 View Post
The Western Digital drive should be fine in a macbook. I have the exact same drive in my Mac Mini (also has 1.5 gb SATA), and the macbook is certainly capable powering for a 7200 rpm drive. I bought mine on newegg for 70$ with free shipping Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Black WD1600BEKT 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - Laptop Hard Drives. As far as a I know the Macbook Core duo's from mid 2006 only support 2 gigs of ram, you would need a core2duo to get 3 gigs or more.
That's not exactly a good deal. Considering you can get double that for 89-99 dollars and at the same speed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« upgrade to new macbook or old MBP? | Overheating problems »