New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - RAM upgrade? MB model number doesn't match Processor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wbindo

Wbindo is on a distinguished road

I currently have 2GB of ram in my macbook (1GB per slot), and wanted to get a 2GB stick for one of the slots.

My problem is that I'm not sure if my macbook will take it. I used a serial number decoder online to find my model number, and this model is suppose to have the Core 2 Duo (according to Wikipedia), but I'm pretty sure mine is just a Core Duo - which I think means I'm limited to the 2GB I currently have.

Anyways, this is the info that the serial number decoder gave me, if anyone can figure it out. Thanks!

Name: MacBook
Model: MA700 MacBook (White) 2.0GHz
Bus speed: 667MHz
Family name: A1181
Screen size: 13 inch
Screen resolution: 1280x800 pixels
Memory - number of slots: 2
Factory: 4H (China)
Model introduced: 2006
Production year: 2006
Production week: 43 (October)
Production number: 260 (within this week)
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

It's actually very simple to figure out which model you have. Click on the Apple at the top left and select "About this Mac." It says right there next to processor what type you have.

Judging by the production date, you might have a Core Duo processor since the Core 2 Duos came out in November of 2006.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Wbindo

Thanks! I did find it there. It is a Core Duo.

That means I'm stuck with 2GB max for ram then, is that right?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

That is correct

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
zman2408

zman2408 is on a distinguished road

Not to jack this thread but...
I have a white MB with the 2.4 Core 2 Duo with 2GB installed... what are my upgrade options?? I was looking on the Apple site last night and it sure looked like it said 2GB was the max but I could of swarn the saleman @ the Apple store was telling me I could upgrade the ram...
I bought this MB new on Sep 25th 2008 ...
Also will more ram affect performance very much? Would it be worth it?

THanks

My first apple product is this White 2.4 Mac Book I bought on September 25, 2008!
QUOTE Thanks
Wbindo

I've done some reading since I posted this question. The Core 2 Duo will take up to 3GB, and you don't have to match the slots. You can do 2GB in one slot and 1GB in the other. Some other people claimed if you put 2GB in each slot then you would be able to use up to a maximum of 3.3GB.
I'm sure it would help some. When I upgraded from a total of 1GB to 2GB it made a remarkable difference. 2GB to 3GB has got to make some noticeable improvement (if you're noticing anything being sluggish already)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Check OWC out at Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC as some MB will take 2 x 2GB modules. Here is a link:-

System Specifications at OtherWorldComputing.com

Likewise for the 2GB model:-

Apple MacBook Memory DDR2 667MHz up to 4.0GB and up to 500GB Internal Hard Drive upgrades too at OtherWorldComputing.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What would you do? Macbook or current PC | Anyone have the new macbookpro? »