New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - G4 spinning pinwheel and possible cure

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

As a follow up to the freezing troubles and fan control cure (which is still working brilliantly so far), my next task on the iBook G4 recently acquired was to sort out the constant spinning pinwheel.
I tried disk verification and resetting permissions from the OS X installation disk - no result.
Next I used iDefrag in case some system files had been badly fragmented (yes there was minor fragmentation but fixing it didn't stop the wheel) and then Disk Warrior and all it's tools - waste of time, although now I know everything is as healthy as can be
Finally I installed OnyX - at last, a complete optimization from the maintenace menu did the trick !

No more spinning wheels, I recommend trying OnyX first before spending any money.
The only thing is, I fresh installed the iBook as soon as it arrived so how on earth did things go downhill so quickly?

Hope this helps others in the same position

Cheers

Hugh
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

No result from OS X running Repair Permissions comes about as Disk Utility may well have been updated during a Software Update. After updating, run from within Disk Utility.
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

Sorry, what I meant by 'no result' was that I did use Disk Utility; permissions were corrected OK but the pinwheel came back.

Cheers

Hugh
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« White Spots, Keyboard+Trackpad Freeze-ups, and $1250 Logicboard bill? | triple boot »