New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - How many GB does my Macbook Pro have?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mdr1985@aol.com

Mdr1985@aol.com is on a distinguished road

Ok here's the story. I bought a Macbook pro from a friend who bought it new in February of 2007. I figured the easiest way to wipe the whole thing clean and start over was to install the leopard operating system and choose the "erase and install" option. All of that went perfectly fine, but I now notice that my hard drive has only 85.53 GB of available space. There is NOTHING on this computer as I just erased it all while installing leopard. I was told this was a 160GB Macbook Pro, but even if I was misinformed and it is in fact a 120GB only having 85GB available seems a bit low (35GB lower than it should be, and potentially 75GB lower than it should be if this is in fact a 160GB computer).

There's the story. My question is, does this sound out of the ordinary? How do I find out for sure whether this is a 120 or a 160GB computer, and is it really normal for that to equate to only 85GB or available space? I've tried looking up "about this mac", but all that tells me is the amount of RAM (3GB). Thanks in advance for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
skoberlink

skoberlink is on a distinguished road

well you always lose a little of your capacity from data needed to run the hard drive. Leopard is only like a 10GB install I think so yes this is out of the ordinary. To find out what the hard drive is actually (assuming there's a problem that's losing space) you probably have to open it.

However more likely is that you didn't actually erase the drive. If you're sure you did, are you sure you haven't added any files, that this is a completely fresh, clean install? Your available space is what is free. So if you added your music files after the install (just an example) your free space goes down. Your total space does not. That's what you need to check. You should be able to right-click your hard drive and click "Get Info" (or ctrl click if you just have one button) and both those numbers are there. You probably already know that since you found available space.

So what does total space say?
QUOTE Thanks
Mdr1985@aol.com

So when you say I'll "probably have to open it", do you mean literally open up the computer? How would I do that and where would I look?
I am as sure as I can be that I did actually erase the drive, and haven't installed anything else since. I "right clicked" the HD and the capacity say's 111.47GB with 85.53GB available. Why is it only saying I have a "Capacity" of 111.47? Shouldn't that say either 120GB or 160GB? What does everyone else's out there say??? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I think it's a 120GB HDD because if it was a 160GB HDD without anything installed it would be around 149GB.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

you loose space to formatting (on all computers) and the difference between what the operating system considers a gig 1024 vs what the hard drive manufacture considers a gig 1000

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

CR and Powerbook G4 are correct. You have a 120GB Hard Drive. My iBook has a 120GB drive. With Leopard and iLife and iWork and a few more applications I have maybe 85GB free.
QUOTE Thanks
skoberlink

skoberlink is on a distinguished road

All of these posts are right. When I said open it up, I meant that if the software was glitching for some reason and said your total space was 85GB then the only for sure way to tell would be to open the macbook's casing and look at the hard drive yourself (although I'm not even sure this is possible).

However based on those numbers I'd have to agree with the previous posts, It's a 120 GB hard drive. You always lose some to formatting and after installing leopard you're probably about where you should be.
QUOTE Thanks
StingMe

StingMe is on a distinguished road

Just launch System Profiler or Disk Utility and check out the hard drive info there...a "120GB" drive is typically a little over 110GB, formatted.
QUOTE Thanks
Mdr1985@aol.com

Great thanks so much for everyones help... Just so I have this straight, it is completely normal for the "capacity" in the system profiler to say 111GB instead of 120? Thanks again everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

it shows it in base 2, not base 10 (which would show as 120)

so same space, just different ways of expressing it. If you want to see this in a pretty glaring fashion open up terminal and type

df -h

then type df -H

One reports in base 2 (df -h), the other in base 10

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
StingMe

StingMe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdr1985@aol.com View Post
Just so I have this straight, it is completely normal for the "capacity" in the system profiler to say 111GB instead of 120?
Yes.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Work on about 8-12% formatting and about 20GB for Leopard which makes it just right. Today a 120GB HDD is really small.

Look around for an external HDD, USB2 and firewire connections will make it bootable, and use that to back up systems, photos etc and keep the internal drive mean and slim.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Heat | URGENT Powerbook 1400 RAM question »