New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Battery Went From 98% to 18% overnight

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

phinsup

phinsup is on a distinguished road

Has 347 cycles, did the calibration anything else i can do???
QUOTE Thanks
jimd144

jimd144 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

If you shut it down and it came back next day at 18, you need a new battery
QUOTE Thanks
phinsup

thats what i figured, just surprised me that it went so quickly.
QUOTE Thanks
Logan

Logan is on a distinguished road

How quickly are you talking? Surely this isn't the new aluminum MBP? I would assume there would be a trick to refresh it. Shut down, take the battery out and let sit for 48hrs, put battery back in and bring up to full charge. I have heard this somewhere but I am unsure if it was the solution to your particular problem.

If all else fails, CLICK HERE for a link to new batteries from Apple. Otherwise eBay might have some for slightly cheaper.

HTH
QUOTE Thanks
phinsup

Well here is something interesting to add to this, I got to looking at the battery and it appears the outer casing, right next to the button is coming off, you see it when you remove the battery and you can see it when you install the battery and look at the bottom of the notebook. Maybe it got too hot? It's a Macbook pro 17" it's about 9 months old, not sure if apple would warranty it or not, worth a call i guess.
QUOTE Thanks
jrichard012

jrichard012 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP and iMac; 2 iPhones 4G; 2 iPADS.

I replaced a MBP battery that slid down to 33% just after a year of owenership. Apple replaced it on the warranty. You might want to contact them to see if they will do the same. Also, have you "conditioned" the battery according to their procedure?
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

did you have an external hd hooked up to it when it was sleeping, and was it off the power lead?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Resizing when adapter pluged in | New failed HDD »