New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - intermittent charging/not charging

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maanico1

maanico1 is on a distinguished road

ive had this problem for quite some time, but it actually just got worse.

my charger will pretty much flash green/orange and the status bar will show a charging/not charging. it used to be a couple of times an hour, but within the past 10 minutes, it flashes every 10 seconds. even more strange is that for the 10 seconds that it is "charging," it shows a time remaining of 4 hrs, 29 minutes.

has anyone else had this problem? is this something that i can fix manually as i cant afford to lose my computer during the upcoming finals.

p.s.- my battery life has been quite crappy lately, is there a possibility that this on/off situation has been detrimental to my battery's conditioning?
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

your battery is probably older and is not holding a charge very well.

does your computer still work when it is plugged in?

how many cycles does your battery have? (under your istat widget if you have one or in the "about this mac" menu)

Blog- My random musings as I document the spiritual changes I go through.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Corinithians 3:13
QUOTE Thanks
maanico1

thanks for the reply-

as far as the istat info goes-
health 67%
cycles 471

is that considered old?
QUOTE Thanks
opie

opie is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problems with a 13" Macbook I picked up used.. when the battery is under 80% or so the charge indicator stays orange and the battery charges but when the battery gets closer to being full I start getting the intermittent charging

the cycle count on the battery is 103
QUOTE Thanks
maanico1

based on skye's post, i went ahead and bought a new battery. it solved the problem for sure. but with a cycle count of 103, i cant imagine that it would already be on the downhill. i started experiencing my problem at around the 400 cycle mark.

im aware that that doesnt help you particularly much, but i thought i would share my experience
QUOTE Thanks
opie

opie is on a distinguished road

The Computer is 2+ years old so it may be that the computer was left on the charger all the time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Corrupt Display | Keyboard problem - won't recognize letters typed »