New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Macbook ram upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

perrson

perrson is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am thinking about buying a refurbished macbook pro and the only thing which I might like to get is to maybe upgrade the memory since to 4gb instead of the 2gb that it comes with. I don't really know how the applecare warranty works(which i plan on getting) for upgrades, do they prefer it if you get them to upgrade the memory themselves? I myself wouldn't be comfortable enough with laptops to install the memory myself. Thanks. Also, is there any way to get them to upgrade the memory before they ship it, I didn't really see an option to do that so I am guessing no. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
rembrandt

rembrandt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro

Not sure about if refurbished macbook pro laptops can have upgraded ram but it's really not that hard to do it yourself. Check out Upgrade Mac Memory - Step by Step Guide for Apple Mac for an idea of what's involved. if your still not sure feel free to ask about it. I'm sure there are heaps of member at the forums who have upgraded their own memory.
QUOTE Thanks
perrson

perrson is on a distinguished road

Thanks, but what about the warranty, like what if i buy non-apple ram since apple ram is way too expensive, does that mess up the warranty?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

no, 'apple ram' is simply someone else's ram they purchased to resale. typically samsung right now. someone like crucial will have at least equal quality. apple won't warranty THAT ram, but the rest of the warranty is unaffected.

I need to script this

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro RAM upgrade question (speed) | Getting Battery back to tip-top shape? »