New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - New Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chjata87

chjata87 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I have a question regarding switching out an old Macbook hard drive for a new one.

When I bought my Macbook (13-inch, white, 60GB) in 2006 I went the cheap route and bought the least expensive model. I definitely regret this now, since I have been running out of space on my computer. I am looking into getting a new hard drive put in. I have a few people I know who are professionals and can do this for me (I'd screw it up if I tried on my own).

I have been looking around online and I know I need a SATA Drive. I have found a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB drive- but I just wanted to ask someone with more experience whether or not this will be compatible with my Macbook?

Here is a link to the drive's page:
WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA Hard Drives ( WD1001FALS )

If anyone can please let me know whether or not this will work- or what drive I should use I would be very grateful!

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Arekisu

Arekisu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.

That won't fit, it's for desktop machines.

You need a 2.5" drive, aka a laptop drive.

WD Scorpio Black 320 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD3200BJKT )

I have the 320Gb version in my MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
chjata87

Thanks so much!

Is 320 the biggest you can go with a Macbook? Also, how were you able to tell it was for a desktop?

Would this one work?
Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - Laptop Hard Drives
QUOTE Thanks
Arekisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chjata87 View Post
Thanks so much!

Is 320 the biggest you can go with a Macbook? Also, how were you able to tell it was for a desktop?
WD have different names for their ranges of hard drives.

Highlight the Internal Hard Drives menu, the drop down has Desktop and Laptop options. Open both and you'll see what i mean.

Also the height of the drive is far to big to fit in the MacBook, i think the max height is 13mm.

I think i saw a 400Gb laptop drive somewhere.

Western Digital WD SCORPIO 2.5 400GB SATA 8MB 5400RPM
QUOTE Thanks
Arekisu

Quote:
Thanks so much!

Would this one work?
Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - Laptop Hard Drives
If it'll physically fit, then it'll work. You'll need to find the dimensions of this drive.
QUOTE Thanks
StingMe

StingMe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have a few people I know who are professionals and can do this for me (I'd screw it up if I tried on my own).
FYI - replacing a MacBook hard drive is about as easy as it can get...one #00 screwdriver and 5 steps (really more like 3 b/c steps 1 & 2 involve unlocking and removing the battery!)

Just make sure you get a 2.5" SATA drive and you should be good to go:

Search Results for "2.5 hard drive" at OtherWorldComputing.com
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Thanks so much!

Would this one work?
I would reconsider your choice on the 500GB HDD. Go with the Seagate HDD because it's quiet, doesn't make the clicking sound this WD makes. The Seagate HDD also uses less energy.
QUOTE Thanks
chjata87

^^ Have you used/ are you using the Seagate 500GB? I have heard some people say to go with Western Digital over Seagate for durability. I'm looking for the biggest capacity hard drive, but more importantly the most durable/longest lasting.

Also, how does it work turning on the computer for the first time with the new drive? I have the CD which I sued to upgrade to Leopard- will that get all I need to get my Macbook running again?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
^^ Have you used/ are you using the Seagate 500GB? I have heard some people say to go with Western Digital over Seagate for durability. I'm looking for the biggest capacity hard drive, but more importantly the most durable/longest lasting.

Also, how does it work turning on the computer for the first time with the new drive? I have the CD which I sued to upgrade to Leopard- will that get all I need to get my Macbook running again?
Yes I do use Seagate HDDs and they have a longer warranty than the WB ones.
QUOTE Thanks
Waterpolo820

Waterpolo820 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell

Quote:

I actually ordered the Seagate 500GB drive, and am waiting for it to show up on my door step. The reasons that I chose the Seagate over WD was pretty much what CrimsonRequiem said:
1. Seagate has a 5 year warranty versus WD's 3 year
2. Seagate runs quieter, and uses less power, and for a notebook that is a big plus!
3. From the reviews the WD seemed as if they all make a noticeable clicking noise.
4. I have a Seagate 320GB in my MBP right now, and no complaints. And if I'm not mistaken Maxtor is the same thing as Seagate, and if so all of the HDDs in my house are Maxtors and the have been around for years, the only one to fail was the one I accidentally knocked over.

The easiest thing would be to clone your existing HDD, using a third party app. That way all you do is pop in the new HDD. But you are going to need a docking station or external closure for it to transfer the data too.

"In a world full of ordinaries,
I will be extraordinary"
QUOTE Thanks
JGruber

JGruber has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterpolo820 View Post
I actually ordered the Seagate 500GB drive, and am waiting for it to show up on my door step. The reasons that I chose the Seagate over WD was pretty much what CrimsonRequiem said:
1. Seagate has a 5 year warranty versus WD's 3 year
2. Seagate runs quieter, and uses less power, and for a notebook that is a big plus!
3. From the reviews the WD seemed as if they all make a noticeable clicking noise.
4. I have a Seagate 320GB in my MBP right now, and no complaints. And if I'm not mistaken Maxtor is the same thing as Seagate, and if so all of the HDDs in my house are Maxtors and the have been around for years, the only one to fail was the one I accidentally knocked over.

The easiest thing would be to clone your existing HDD, using a third party app. That way all you do is pop in the new HDD. But you are going to need a docking station or external closure for it to transfer the data too.
Can you recommend a third party app for cloning a HDD?
QUOTE Thanks
StingMe

StingMe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGruber View Post
Can you recommend a third party app for cloning a HDD?
SuperDuper!
QUOTE Thanks
Arekisu

I've never heard any clicking coming from my WD drive.

Also Carbon Copy Cloner is a good program.
QUOTE Thanks
chjata87

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Waterpolo820, where did you order your Seagate from? And what was the model?

Also, in using the cloning program- just to verify- I would clone my Macbook to my external hard drive, right? How would I go about getting that back onto my new hard drive?

Also, what is the best thing to do with an old internal? Can I recycle it somewhere?

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Also, what is the best thing to do with an old internal? Can I recycle it somewhere?

Thanks again!
When I upgraded my internal to a 160GB Toshiba drive I put the old drive in a SATA USB external enclosure and use it as extra storage. Assuming it still works you could do that. They are not very expensive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Macbook 2.4 - Illuminated Keyboard? | Not at all happy with my new Macbook Pro. Seeking (hopefully) some tips to fix... »