New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - old or new macbook pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

emsky

emsky is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am a web designer and picture editor and would like to buy a macbook pro next year, Feb time.

Could anyone shed any light to my questions?

1. For design work would you get a 15 or 17inch laptop? (I will mainly be using it at home, rarely needing to take it out to see clients).

2. What processor do you think I would need for web design and picture editing? I would be doing a lot of photoshop work.

2. I don't need it for games and stuff like that. So do you think I'd need the most recent style laptop, the one that has just come out or the older version and try and save some money?

3. Can anyone explain the difference between the older version and the newer one and can you get the newer styled mac book pro 17 inch or just 15?

Thanks,

Emsky
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsky View Post
1. For design work would you get a 15 or 17inch laptop? (I will mainly be using it at home, rarely needing to take it out to see clients).

2. What processor do you think I would need for web design and picture editing? I would be doing a lot of photoshop work.

2. I don't need it for games and stuff like that. So do you think I'd need the most recent style laptop, the one that has just come out or the older version and try and save some money?

3. Can anyone explain the difference between the older version and the newer one and can you get the newer styled mac book pro 17 inch or just 15?
1)Well with any design work the bigger the screen the better. But I think a 15" is great for anyone that isn't a hardcore pro. IMO 15" is great allround.

2)I have had 3 MBPs (2 older models (1x15" 1x17") and I have the current model. The newer models have great screens (some people don't like the glossy screen but I love it (I don't get much reflection at all)), much much faster RAM, better GPUs and the build quality is head and shoulders above the rest.

3)See 2) and a 17" model is no doubt on the way and I would expect it out around Feb at the latest. I would love one in 17" but I need the potability because of work no letting me get a Mac on them so I use my own.

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

15" is a good mix of functionality and mobility. I have a 17" in MBP that I use only as a desktop replacement. When I'm on the go I use my MB. I kind of wish I had a 15" MBP right now, but meh.

I'm also a Web desginer, and illustrator. Screen real estate is pretty important in design. I hook up to my 22" screen when I'm at home. I seem to get a lot more work done this way, compared to working off a small 13" screen.

Like B&O already mentioned the new 2008 model has a getter graphics card than the older model which has some problems, IE. overheating.

As for the processor that you need, I don't think it really matters. Although the faster ones will probably get those filters/rendering effects a little bit faster.

I think the older versions of the MB/P line work just fine.

At my school we still use eMacs with CS3 on them. >_>" I bring my MB to class to work so I don't have to deal with slowness, however the eMacs do run decently just takes a while for things to load.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Aluminum MacBook or Older MacBook Pro | Right click from keyboard - worried »