New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - What does it mean when a macbook turns off when you unplug the charger?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jay Ray

Jay Ray is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GM ram, 128mb vram, Macbook, iPhone 3G 8g

So, this happened with my ibook too.

Recently, when I unplug the charging cable for my macbook, it turns off, so I have to put the charger in, and turn it on. It is on full battery, so thats not the problem.

I'm really confused/annoyed. Why is this happening? What can I do to fix it?

Thanks,

~Jay
QUOTE Thanks
JGruber

JGruber has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD

Well the obvious would be the battery. But you said you checked that... Maybe the battery is not seated correctly? Are you 100% certain the battery is good? Will the Macbook turn on if the charger is not connected to it?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I bet its a bad battery mine went from full to dead in 20 min before APPLE CARE replaced it.
QUOTE Thanks
Jay Ray

Jay Ray is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GM ram, 128mb vram, Macbook, iPhone 3G 8g

Okay, I just checked, and actually the battery is at 0%.

So, why might that be happening?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
JGruber

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD

Sounds like a dead battery. Download Coconut Battery and open it, you will get a good idea of the current status of your battery.

Edit: Might want to check out Battery Update 1.2 from Apples Support page.
QUOTE Thanks
shadco

shadco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.0 I7, Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 15, Macbook 2.16Ghz, Imac 3.2GHz 21.5, Macbook Pro 13 2.23Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGruber View Post
Sounds like a dead battery. Download Coconut Battery and open it, you will get a good idea of the current status of your battery.

Edit: Might want to check out Battery Update 1.2 from Apples Support page.
If coconut battery crashes which it might it could be an indicator of a bad battery. Apple just replaced mine which was bad. Now coconut battery works just fine so does my macbook.

Shad
Help is on the way a government team of experts Is a'rushin' to your aid... -- Stephen Stills
08 MB, 08 MBP, 010 MBP, 010 Imac, 011 MBP
QUOTE Thanks
JGruber

I didn't know Coconut Battery could crash if the battery is bad, that's a handy piece of info right there.
QUOTE Thanks
terrible1one3

terrible1one3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Alumibook 2.4, 4GB | 1TB Time Capsule | 30GB Video iPod

I don't know anything about the batteries in macbooks.

But I know a battery in a motorcycle can have a "blown cell" which will cause the battery to not work at all. It can happen randomly and suddenly and the battery physically looks normal.

I would assume this could happen in other batteries.

This might explain why your battery reads 0% and doesn't function.
QUOTE Thanks
JGruber

Well with the Macbook batteries, they are just standard Li-Ion Cells, in a 'large AA' size, and run in Parallel, with a 11.1v or 14.8v power usage. Which will yield a higher capacity, I know my Macbook's original capacity is 4500ish, and now at 2800ish.

If you happen to have 1 cell bad, it will just lower the over all mAh capacity, and not necessarily cause the entire battery to be dead.
QUOTE Thanks
ryry163

ryry163 is on a distinguished road

ok so i installed coconut battery and it said i had 49% battery and 86% life. I unplug my charger and it crashes. The date gets messed up and so does the interrnet so plz help
QUOTE Thanks
Flapjacks

Flapjacks is on a distinguished road

if the battery was at 0% after you checked then it must have not been receiving a charge and all the incoming power was going directly to your apple without a reserve going to charge your battery. Next time you plug it in when its at 0% battery, give it a few minutes to develop a reserve and that won't happen.

But something like this has happened to me with a near full battery and i chalked it up to a fluke accident.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Spanish accents (dont want to use option + e) | Microsoft Office on mac for free ? »