Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2008
    Posts
    10
    Upgrading on my own
    Well, I'm a "switcher" and fixing to order my first Apple, a new Macbook Pro in the next day or two.

    Seems it'd be less expensive to upgrade a couple of the components on my own, so that's what I'd like to do, but have some questions.

    I'm set on the 2.4ghz 15" MBP. I'd like to bump it up to 4gb and a larger hard drive.

    As for the RAM, is this a good bet?
    4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 upgrades for Apple MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (15.4-inch) Laptop/Notebook, CT687602 from Crucial.com
    Crucial seems to be where it's at for RAM.

    As for the hard drive, I'm not so sure. Where have you guys turned for ordering a notebook hd? I'm a fan of Seagate, and see this one (seems the same as the Apple upgrade, but less $$$) Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus 7200.3 ST9320421AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive (Bare drive) - Laptop Hard Drives
    I like Seagate, but that's the largest 7200rpm one I see.


    Also, how difficult is it to install RAM and a Hard Drive on these new Macbook Pros? Any online writeups?
    I've tinkered around in my desktop PC, but never messed with a laptop.

    Thanks

  2. #2

    mdfuller's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 01, 2007
    Location
    Sconie
    Posts
    1,217
    Specs:
    15-inch MacBook Pro

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Oct 26, 2008
    Posts
    27
    Specs:
    MB 2.0GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by calrockx View Post
    Well, I'm a "switcher" and fixing to order my first Apple, a new Macbook Pro in the next day or two.

    Seems it'd be less expensive to upgrade a couple of the components on my own, so that's what I'd like to do, but have some questions.

    I'm set on the 2.4ghz 15" MBP. I'd like to bump it up to 4gb and a larger hard drive.

    As for the RAM, is this a good bet?
    4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 upgrades for Apple MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (15.4-inch) Laptop/Notebook, CT687602 from Crucial.com
    Crucial seems to be where it's at for RAM.

    As for the hard drive, I'm not so sure. Where have you guys turned for ordering a notebook hd? I'm a fan of Seagate, and see this one (seems the same as the Apple upgrade, but less $$$) Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus 7200.3 ST9320421AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive (Bare drive) - Laptop Hard Drives
    I like Seagate, but that's the largest 7200rpm one I see.


    Also, how difficult is it to install RAM and a Hard Drive on these new Macbook Pros? Any online writeups?
    I've tinkered around in my desktop PC, but never messed with a laptop.

    Thanks
    Wish you would have posted this yesterday. APPLE had their black friday sale on their web page. You could have got your mac for $100 less than today.

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2008
    Posts
    10
    ooh good link. doesn't so much about the memory replacement, but seems it's not too difficult.

    maybe i'll just go through apple for the hard drive, i forgot about the hassle of reinstalling the OS and programs again.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2008
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    Wish you would have posted this yesterday. APPLE had their black friday sale on their web page. You could have got your mac for $100 less than today.
    really? i checked it, i didn't see any discounts on the MBPs, just the macbooks...
    oh well

  6. #6

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    The HDD is good I have that one in my MB right now.

    The RAM that you want is kind of meh. I would get these. Cost less and is a lot better. These are a lot faster.

  7. #7

    walkum13's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 23, 2008
    Posts
    151
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by calrockx View Post
    really? i checked it, i didn't see any discounts on the MBPs, just the macbooks...
    oh well
    Yeah, I checked too, it was only for the MBs NOT the MBP

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2008
    Posts
    10
    good call on the newegg ram, thanks

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2008
    Posts
    10
    I just noticed that Kingston RAM is DDR2. Apple offers DDR3.
    big deal or not?

  10. #10

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by calrockx View Post
    I just noticed that Kingston RAM is DDR2. Apple offers DDR3.
    big deal or not?
    What model of the MBP are you getting? If it's the newest model then you need to get yourself some DDR3 RAM.

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2008
    Posts
    10
    the new 2.4ghz 15" model, oh so it requires ddr3?

    aye, looks like i only save a few bucks, guess i'll just go through apple for the 2 -> 4gb ram

  12. #12

    BoiseAuctioneer's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 27, 2008
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    51
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro
    Is there a good step by step on replacing the hard drive on the older MBP's?

    Thanks in advance and Yes I did try the search function

  13. #13

    B&O's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2007
    Location
    Brit in Tokyo.
    Posts
    745
    Specs:
    MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
    Quote Originally Posted by calrockx View Post
    I just noticed that Kingston RAM is DDR2. Apple offers DDR3.
    big deal or not?
    MBP DD2 runs at 667MHz and MBP DDR3 runs at 1067MHz. If you are going to put DDR2 in it, then buy an older model.
    MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
    iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
    Check out my flickr

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrading...
    By Sushiboy in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-28-2012, 02:52 AM
  2. Upgrading...
    By hotdog182 in forum iPhone Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-13-2008, 12:25 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 05:07 PM
  4. Upgrading HD
    By robbiemullen in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2007, 06:55 PM
  5. Upgrading to 10.2
    By cimages in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2007, 01:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •