New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Macbook rebel needs some advice!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrsMacGirl

MrsMacGirl is on a distinguished road

Hello all. I'm new to this forum. I'm also new to the Mac community, but I must say I am definitely loving it!

I'm about to start nursing school. My school highly discourages Macs due to the software we are going to use and the school won't provide any Mac tech support. But there are a hand full of us that are going to use our Macs, and some undercover IT guys that use Macs are willing to help us too. There are Mac users in the program now that have done just fine using Parallels with the required software for the program.

Because I'm not exactly tech savvy, I am hoping I can get some advice here on this. The following is what the school requires in a laptop:

Windows XP, or Vista
Java-compatible Web browser: Firefox 2.0, or Internet Explorer 6.0
1.0 GHz or faster processor (Pentium IV and above)
At least 1 GB of RAM is required; 2 GB or above recommended
20 GB free hard-disk space
High Speed Internet Access
Sound card and speakers
Wireless network card
CD-drive
2 USB ports
MS Office
Adobe Acrobat Reader (available free from the Internet)
Adobe Shockwave Player version 11.0

Here is what I have:
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version: 1.17f0

So my question is, is there anything I should do to make sure my Mac runs as smoothly as possible? Should I get 2GB RAM since I only have 1GB now? Any other suggestions?

THANKS so much
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Upgrade the RAM to 2 GB definately.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

You want to get as much RAM as possible if you are going to be running a Virtual PC. If you don't then you are going to have hang ups and what not when you are running parallel and those Window based software.

Try and find out how much RAM your MB can hold. 3GB or 4GB would serve you well.
QUOTE Thanks
StingMe

StingMe is on a distinguished road

FYI - you can get 4GB (a 2x 2GB set) for $15 after rebate from

FRYS.com | CRUCIAL

and install it in your MacBook (it's easy). Your MacBook will recognize that 4GB of RAM is installed, but applications will only address the first 3GB.

For more info and benchmark tests for your particular MacBook, see

Performance testing of Apple MacBook Core Duo and Core 2 Duo Models with various Memory configurations | OtherWorldComputing.com

Also, if your school requires some piece of software that is Windows-only you can always buy a Windows XP (preferable) or Vista license and disc set through the school and install it on your MacBook via Bootcamp (built into Leopard), Fusion (VMware), or Parallels Desktop.

Good Luck!
QUOTE Thanks
MrsMacGirl

MrsMacGirl is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tips! Very helpful. I was going to take my Macbook to the Apple Store and get the 2GB installed. They told me it was going to cost $180. Ouch! I have been reading up on how to do it myself and I didn't realize how much cheaper it would be to buy it myself and install it on my own.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMacGirl View Post
Thanks for the tips! Very helpful. I was going to take my Macbook to the Apple Store and get the 2GB installed. They told me it was going to cost $180. Ouch! I have been reading up on how to do it myself and I didn't realize how much cheaper it would be to buy it myself and install it on my own.
It's not worth 180 dollars for them to install 2GB. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes. All you need are the right screwdrivers and you are set.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Won't go into sleep mode | new white macbook dark corners »