New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - How can I clone hard drive from MacBook and restoring on another

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

danimaltron

danimaltron is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I am getting my early 2008 MacBook Pro replaced with the exact same machine. My current MacBook has some minor hardware issues, but I've only had it for a month, so I'm getting an exchange.

But I have already gotten my OS setup how I want. Apps installed, things configured, etc.

I just want to get up and running on this new machine with minimal effort.

I am trying to figure out how to clone this hard drive and restore it onto the new machine WITHOUT removing any of their hard-drives. I have been using Time Machine with a external HD connected via FireWire.

Can I use those TM backups to restore the new MacBook to be exactly how I left this one? How would I go about doing that?

If not, can I use Super Duper to do this somehow? What would be the easiest way? Can you please provide instructions as well... I've only been on Mac for about a month (but I have found my way pretty good so far)
QUOTE Thanks
ViriiGuy

ViriiGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd

You need to get an external USB Hdd, then when you plug it in, tell time machine to use it as a backup device. It will format it and then voila, you can start your backup.

Then when you get our new mac, just restore it onto it and poof, you are sitting at your old machine again
QUOTE Thanks
danimaltron

danimaltron is on a distinguished road

To restore from my Time Machine backup (which I already have) do I do that through the OS, or should I insert the restore disks and do it from there?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
ViriiGuy

ViriiGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd

Use the migration wizard inside the os to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
gonzobill

gonzobill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro (2010) 2.66 12 Core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 12 GB Ram, MBP i7 2.66 2010, 8GB Ram

when you turn on your new machine it will prompt you if you want to migrate or restore from a time machine backup. pick restore from time machine and your new laptop will be exactly like your old one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Return MacBookPro? | Processor and HD speeds on New Macbook Pro - 2 questions »