New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Cracks in white MacBook!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ardillo9344

ardillo9344 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook White 2.0 GHz 320GB HD 2GB RAM PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 733MHz 80GB HD iPhone 3G 16GB Black

I have had this computer for about a year and a half, maybe a little less. I bought it in May 2007, so it is no longer under warranty! I have always treated it well, NEVER DROPPED, EVER! This computer is my baby.

Just today, I was typing and when I lifted my hand up, I heard a strange noise and looked down. The edge of the palm rest was cracked!!
I'm not exactly sure what to do, because it is out of warranty with no AppleCare. I have heard in some cases though, that Apple will replace it out of warranty.

I have also attached a picture so you can see the problem.

What are your experiences with this problem? Anyone had these cracks? What did Apple say?

Thanks so much,
Adam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (106.0 KB, 90 views)
QUOTE Thanks
takadante

takadante will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3

That isn't surprising. That problem has been reported hundreds of times with apple. Take it to the apple store. Although you may be out of warranty, they could do it anyways because its so common.

Good Luck
QUOTE Thanks
ardillo9344

Mac Specs: MacBook White 2.0 GHz 320GB HD 2GB RAM PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 733MHz 80GB HD iPhone 3G 16GB Black

Alright, thanks. I think I will go tomorrow to my Apple Store and see what they will do. I will come back here and tell you the outcome. Hopefully it will work out ok.
QUOTE Thanks
ardillo9344

Ok, just got back from the Apple Store, and they told me that they could fix it but I have to have an appointment for them to even LOOK at it for a minute. I made an appointment for tomorrow, so I will be back then.
QUOTE Thanks
growlgrowl

growlgrowl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2

I am here looking to see if anyone had this problem and your photo is exactly the same as my MacBook!! The left hand side has a small crack in the same place as well. I bought mine in June of this year.

The problem is I am currently living abroad (from Scotland to Argentina). There is an Apple Store near my work so I'll see what they say.

How did you get on, Ardillo?

Grrrrr
QUOTE Thanks
ardillo9344

Quote:
Originally Posted by growlgrowl View Post
I am here looking to see if anyone had this problem and your photo is exactly the same as my MacBook!! The left hand side has a small crack in the same place as well. I bought mine in June of this year.

The problem is I am currently living abroad (from Scotland to Argentina). There is an Apple Store near my work so I'll see what they say.

How did you get on, Ardillo?

Grrrrr
Ok, I went back to the Apple Store again today, and they looked at my MacBook, and the guy at the Genius Bar said that "because it was the holiday season, he would hate to be the bearer of bad news." He told me that they would fix it for free even though it was out of warranty, but he would have to order the part. He said that it should be in on Saturday. (I'm pretty sure that they would do this any time of the year though; the people at the Apple Store are usually REALLY nice.)

Also, I ordered a Marware protection pack plus, that I am going to put on once they fix the part. It covers the palm rest with a type of PVC leather. It also comes with a trackpad cover, a case for the computer, and a microfiber cloth. A pretty good deal for only 29.99! Hopefully since that will cover the palm rest it will prevent it from cracking. The guy at the Apple Store told me that it was those small little things at the top of the screen that crack the palm rest. (It seems strange because that is a design flaw...)

Well, anyways I would try taking it to the Apple Store closest to you, because they said that once the part is in, they could do it pretty fast. (As little as an hour)

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Happened once to me, and they fixed it right up

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardillo9344 View Post
The guy at the Apple Store told me that it was those small little things at the top of the screen that crack the palm rest. (It seems strange because that is a design flaw...)
Don't you just love it when company employees admit responsibility for a design flaw that the company itself dismisses...
QUOTE Thanks
ardillo9344

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Bassist View Post
Don't you just love it when company employees admit responsibility for a design flaw that the company itself dismisses...
I know, right?!
QUOTE Thanks
Luminosity

Luminosity is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD

OMG haha i have the exact same thing in the exact same spot. Only mine is already ripped off. I have a 3 year cover on my macbook, would you think they will fix it for free?
QUOTE Thanks
ardillo9344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminosity View Post
OMG haha i have the exact same thing in the exact same spot. Only mine is already ripped off. I have a 3 year cover on my macbook, would you think they will fix it for free?
Absolutely. They know that it is a design flaw. They should have used thicker and higher quality plastic. They will admit that it is a problem.

At my Apple store, they even said that they have seen this a lot.

I would try taking this to your Apple Store. Make sure you make an appointment though. I came the first day, and they wouldn't even talk to me about the problem until I came back the next day with an appointment!
QUOTE Thanks
Luminosity

Luminosity is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardillo9344 View Post
Absolutely. They know that it is a design flaw. They should have used thicker and higher quality plastic. They will admit that it is a problem.

At my Apple store, they even said that they have seen this a lot.

I would try taking this to your Apple Store. Make sure you make an appointment though. I came the first day, and they wouldn't even talk to me about the problem until I came back the next day with an appointment!
The thing is my apple store is 100 miles away. So i wouldnt want to drive down there to find out, i have to come all the way back. I dont know if its worth it. Do they just fill it with some sort of plastic, or do they replace the whole piece?
QUOTE Thanks
ardillo9344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminosity View Post
The thing is my apple store is 100 miles away. So i wouldnt want to drive down there to find out, i have to come all the way back. I dont know if its worth it. Do they just fill it with some sort of plastic, or do they replace the whole piece?
They are going to replace the entire part. I believe that the part also includes the entire keyboard and trackpad.
QUOTE Thanks
jamin100

jamin100 is on a distinguished road

Just to add to this, I brought an 06 macbook from ebay earlier in the year. the case was cracked exactly the same as yours. Because this was a 2nd hand computer it was well out of warranty and had no aplpe care. It wasnt even registered in my name.

Anyway, i phone up apple care, explained the problem and they arranged for it to be fixed for free. No questions asked. The apple reseller had it for about a week but did replace the whole top case and keyboard.

I then put it back on ebay a few weeks later and sold it for £100 more than what i paid for it in the first place.

Nice one apple
QUOTE Thanks
ardillo9344

Ok, got back from the Apple Store a bit ago. The part got in and they fixed it in about 2.5 hours! Pretty good!
They did it completely free too. This part also includes the entire keyboard and the trackpad as well as the palm rest itself.

I am happy.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook display stays on when closed | Connecting MacBook Pro to TV--HELP please! »