New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New iBook,Need some help asap please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mike7361

So last week I found this iBook at the airport,no one ever reported it so now its mine.Two problems..well one really theres a password that i cant get past after the computer boots,i dont know how to log in as an admin as I was trying to read @ apple.com.Do I need software?and exactly what software would i need to purchase to wipe out and redo the whole computer and where could I buy it.I am very knowledgable about windows but this is the first mac ive ever touched,there is no information on the entire computer(physically) like model info or anything,i know its got a 12'' screen and it reads ibook under the display and is running mac os x.any help would be appreciated,if you could catch me on aim my screen name is Mike7361,Thanks -Mike
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

First off:

Contact apple and ask them to check if the owner registered his machine with the serial number on the 'book...

If he/she did, give it back and buy a mac mini with the reward money...
QUOTE Thanks
vuschejan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
First off:

Contact apple and ask them to check if the owner registered his machine with the serial number on the 'book...

If he/she did, give it back and buy a mac mini with the reward money...
Yeah, If I ever lost my beloved Ibook I'd cry. Well. I wouldnt, but, I'd be unhappy. However, if it was returned to me I'd be very happy.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I would do what have been suggested first. The owner may have some valuable data on it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Flaps45

I once found a portable and by calling the manufacturer they found the owner. All they asked was for a serial number and they called the owner for me and all...I returned it.
QUOTE Thanks
Mike7361

so what cd's would i need to restore this ibook back to new?oh and i just took the keyboard off its a 800mhz/128mb/30gb/combo.
QUOTE Thanks
MactotheMax

MactotheMax is on a distinguished road

Mike, I dont think youre going to find many people here to be helpful so long as you havent tried getting the 'book back to its rightful owner. Do the right thing and call apple and at least let them try to find the owner.
QUOTE Thanks
alejandrico

alejandrico is on a distinguished road

From the original discs that come with your iBook, you just,... wait,.. you don't have them because you didn't buy that computer, so it is not yours

Return that computer!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Plus you do know that if the original owner has reported it lost/stolen and you go online with it that apple will be able to tell right?
QUOTE Thanks
Phiber

Do the right thing and return it. I would be very sad if I had lost a computer that I spent hard earned money on.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

you can reset the password by booting from panther install disc 1. so you would need ti buy panther.
QUOTE Thanks
MactotheMax

MactotheMax is on a distinguished road

I hope it doesnt work.
QUOTE Thanks
Flaps45

same here
QUOTE Thanks
Phiber

Haha, I hope Macman lied and made this dude spend a buncha money! hahaha!
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

I didnt lie. but if hes not even gonna try to return it, I hope he cant figure out how to do it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ibook vs. powerbook! | iBook CD/DVD bundled burning software »