New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Fans in use while streaming video

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

Just simply watching this video while doing nothing else on my MacBook causes the fans to get louder and louder. I'm wondering if a.) this is normal and b.) I can use some software to adjust when the fans are supposed to come on.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Streaming video on your MacBook taxes the GPU and CPU which causes heat which in turn causes the fan speed to ramp up. Quite normal.

If you wish to monitor the heat readings and fan speed among other parameters, download and install iStatPro a free widget.

iStat pro, a Dashboard Widget by iSlayer

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

I actually have iStat installed to monitor it, but I seem to call some software that let you go in and manually adjust the fan speeds.
QUOTE Thanks
bad.heron

bad.heron is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT

@ rsherid try this: Download smcFanControl 2.1.3.1 for Mac - Control Intel Mac fans to make it run cooler. MacUpdate Mac System Software Downloads

15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Yeah, YouTube videos and pretty much any flash ad will get the fan spinning. Oddly enough, playing music or Quicktime videos don't, and I play a lot of both.
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

you really do not want to mess with the threshold at which the fans start ramping up.....
it is perfectly normal for your computer to heat up while streaming flash video...

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Putting 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM in Macbooks was smart! | new aluminum MBP freeze ups »