New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Macbook To Macbook pro harddrive Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nocturnal22

Nocturnal22 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.26 13in MBP

Can i take out a harddrive from a macbook and put it into a macbook pro and will it boot up? My gut says yes but wana make sure
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Maaaaybe.

A better way of doing things would be to clone it to an external drive, boot up the MBP normally and then migrate your data and settings to the MBP's drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Nocturnal22

so i cant just take out the hard drive then put it in the MBP its just that i am gona sell my macbook to someone with a extra blank harddrive I have and i want to take mine out with all my stuff on it ready to boot and buy a MBP off someone else hopeing i could pop it and it would boot.
QUOTE Thanks
Robzilla

Robzilla is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8

There shouldn't be an issue with this. I would back up your important stuff to DVD or external HD beforehand just in case.
QUOTE Thanks
Nocturnal22

really you think its necissary to back up stuff you think the harddrive may corrupt if i put it in a MBP
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Before you do anything with touching a HD you should always back it up just in case. It's a simple rule of thumb that will stop any hair tearing and sobbing into your keyboard after your HD suddenly reads that none of your User data is available. =]
QUOTE Thanks
Nocturnal22

mkay yea makes sense lol but in your guys opinion do you think it would work or do you know anyway i could find out? quick
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

If you want to keep your data, assume it won't work. If it does - good for you.

Besides: Unless you're getting a new MBP, it's worth using an external drive just to save yourself the hassle of opening up the old model: That's not exactly an easy drive swap...
QUOTE Thanks
Robzilla

Robzilla is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8

Other than calling Apple and asking someone who works on them all the time you may be able to find some info online. Just google it. I seriously doubt there would be a problem but like its been said, back it up first.
QUOTE Thanks
wslctrc

wslctrc is on a distinguished road

can I swap mb hd straight into mbp? - ehMac.ca

I can tell you first hand that it works.

I bought a macbook pro that was freshly loaded on a 120g drive and I had a macbook that was holding all my info on a 250g drive. I backed it up just in case.

I installed the macbook pro drive right into the macbook and the macbook drive right into the macbook pro. both took a few seconds longer than normal on first boot but it was like they were never swapped.

I was then able to sell the macbook without any software troubles (loading etc)

Just do it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Max RAM and HD? | Putting 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM in Macbooks was smart! »