New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Possible faulty CPU thermometer, common problem?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dyaballikl

dyaballikl is on a distinguished road

My 13" Macbook's fans are running at 6,000 rpms, full time after one minute of use. I've got Istat running, and the cpu thermometer reads over 170 degrees all the time, and the rest of them don't even reach 140. I thought it was a problem with that garbage optical drive since it spun even without a disc inserted, so I pulled that out, but the problem hasn't gotten any better (but at least my macbook's a bit lighter!).

I'm not running a lot of processes, and the cpu usage is rarely above 50%. Also, the macbook doesn't feel too hot like it usually would when the cpu is running hot. I've had this one since they first came out, about 3 or so years ago, but it just started this problem a couple weeks ago, and now the battery won't last through class, so I'm screwed.

The only thing left that I can think of is that the thermometer on the cpu itself has gone south. Is this a common problem? Is it fixable? Any other ideas as to what the problem could be? Thanks all.
QUOTE Thanks
dyaballikl

the problem is persisting. does anyone have any insight on the issue?
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

Are you using an software that changes the fans speeds?

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks
dyaballikl

nope. nothing like that. i do notice 40% system processes though. never really paid much attention to system processes before. is that normal?
QUOTE Thanks
dyaballikl

wow, talk about weird. all the sudden, my cpu is running at 10% and the temp is down to 106 degrees. problem solved, for now.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyaballikl View Post
My 13" Macbook's fans are running at 6,000 rpms, full time after one minute of use. I've got Istat running, and the cpu thermometer reads over 170 degrees all the time, and the rest of them don't even reach 140. ...
The only thing left that I can think of is that the thermometer on the cpu itself has gone south. Is this a common problem? Is it fixable? Any other ideas as to what the problem could be? Thanks all.
The problem isn't your MacBook.
iStat is not the most reliable method for detecting temps or fan speeds, etc. It is okay for a general idea of things, but it is often inaccurate or just plain wrong with its measurements.
This is proven by your next statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyaballikl View Post
wow, talk about weird. all the sudden, my cpu is running at 10% and the temp is down to 106 degrees. problem solved, for now.
Bottom line, don't pay too much attention to these things.
If there was a major problem, you would know it without a software monitoring app.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
dyaballikl

i'm unsure of what you're saying there. there was a major problem because the fans were running full speed. I also used another program which confirmed istat's temp reading within a couple degrees.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is this a good deal?? | Vision M and MBP »