New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - White macbook stains.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

batsy

batsy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook, iPod Classic

Hi, I'm new

Anyways, does anyone who has the white macbook have these stains on and around the trackpad:

Apple Acknowledges MacBook Stains As Manufacturing Defect - It looks like they have changed the plastics used... - Softpedia

I've only had my macbook for a few weeks and I'm already noticing some stains. Now, that article was written in 2006.... you'd think they would have fixed the problem by now.

Does anyone else have these stains, and if so, what did you do about it? Did you ask Apple for some kind of replacement top case, or is there some way to clean them off? I've tried rubbing alcohol on it to no avail (I know, alcohol isn't the best thing for the plastic but I couldn't think of anything else that might work).
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I found that a degreaser like Simple Green works pretty well with a cloth, not paper, towel.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
batsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
I found that a degreaser like Simple Green works pretty well with a cloth, not paper, towel.
Is there a generic product that works like that? Something I might already have?
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

there is a very simple way. Get a white eraser or rubber (that's british english , I know what you yanks think it is LOL).

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&O View Post
there is a very simple way. Get a white eraser or rubber (that's british english , I know what you yanks think it is LOL).
Don't use a pink one though! It makes it worse.

A little blue glass cleaning fluid sprayed on a white terrycloth towel works fairly well. Spray a very small spot on the towel and rub with the towel stretched over the tip of your finger.

Also, I've never tried it, but rumor has it that a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works wonders.
QUOTE Thanks
jakeummsi

jakeummsi is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I have minor ones but I just get a wet paper towel and rub them off. But thats when they're really not to noticeable. The paper towel doesn't work the best but its a quick way and it helps somewhat.

White MacBook
2.4 GHz
2 GB RAM
160 GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
batsy

Well... I've tried erasers and various cleaning products, even alcohol, and they don't budge. I thought these kinds of stains wouldn't come off? Or did Apple fix the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
danoosha

danoosha is on a distinguished road

hey, i'm new too

i bought my $999 macbook 3 weeks ago and from day 1 i've been treating very gently - i put it into an InCase right away and keep washing my hands before using it, so i was really upset to see the stains around the trackpad.

a white eraser certainly helped a lot, but i can still vaguely see the discoloration spots. i wonder if they'll come back later... pretty annoying.

and i guess apple did fix this problem... they just stopped making white macbooks
QUOTE Thanks
batsy

Ugh. The stains are getting worse and much more visible and they DON'T come off. I'm really considering taking it in. Don't they test these machines?
QUOTE Thanks
AirAddict

AirAddict is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0 uni

its acid ,in your sweat, it does not happen to everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
batsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirAddict View Post
its acid ,in your sweat, it does not happen to everyone.
It shouldn't happen to anyone after a month of use.
QUOTE Thanks
batsy

Success! I brought the laptop in to my local Apple store, and after an employee looked at it and talked to someone else (manager, maybe) he agreed to replace the topcase.

I asked him if he thought it would happen again, and he said no, that it was probably a "fluke", even though it's an extremely reported problem and there was even a girl at the Genius bar next to me with a new white macbook that appeared to have the exact same stains.

Oh, well. If it happens again I'll just bring it back in again.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Glad you got it fixed. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser usually takes the stains right out.
QUOTE Thanks
batsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
Glad you got it fixed. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser usually takes the stains right out.
Seriously? You didn't get the part where I said that they wouldn't come off? Even the guy in the Apple store said "you didn't do this."
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsy View Post
Seriously? You didn't get the part where I said that they wouldn't come off? Even the guy in the Apple store said "you didn't do this."
Well all you used was rubbing alcohol....

It was probably just your dirty hands. The problem stated in the article you posted was for older Macbooks. Apple acknowledged the problem back in July of 06. The newest Macbooks (not the aluminum ones) had the defect already fixed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro Blu-Ray ready? | What would you do? Macbook or current PC »