Old vs. New. Which one?
    Hi all,
    I found out my university store is selling the old MBP at closeout prices. What are the advantages offered by the new MBP compared to the old one? Here are my options:

2.4Ghz MBP with 256MB Video, 200Gb hard drive-->$1399
    2.5Ghz MBP with 512MB Video, 250Gb hard drive-->$1599
    New MBP 2.4Ghz with 256MB GDDR3 and 250Gb-->$1899

Please keep in mind the price does matter. I am just thinking about the overall best values.

Thanks,
    AZ

The usual, what you are you gonna do with the MBP?, what programs?, and so on...
    Intel iMac 24" 2.8Ghz / 4gb
    PowerBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz / 1.25gb
    2Gb Black iPod Nano 1G
    Canon 30D, recently inherited!

The old one is certainly a better value.

The old 2.5GHz model will perform better at nearly everything than the new 2.4GHz, and the old 2.4GHz only marginally worse.

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    The CPU has a higher Cache, and DDR3 RAM is very fast. That's probably it. Everything else is pretty cosmetic. IE. Glasspad and everything else. Maybe the GPU is slightly better because it has two chips sets...?

Thanks for the replies. I am getting my PhD in Materials Science and Engineering. I occasionally do some ANSYS modelling. But my main use of the laptop is for presentations and ms office stuff. I just went and purchased the new Macbook 2.4ghz. I chose it because of its increased portability, good integrated graphics and amazing construction. The MBP is not for me because it is significantly heavier.

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimate008 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I am getting my PhD in Materials Science and Engineering. I occasionally do some ANSYS modelling. But my main use of the laptop is for presentations and ms office stuff. I just went and purchased the new Macbook 2.4ghz. I chose it because of its increased portability, good integrated graphics and amazing construction. The MBP is not for me because it is significantly heavier.
    I'd say that's a good choice as well. ^-^" I like the size of the 13" MB myself, but I often times find myself using my 17" a lot more. I only bring my 13" MB with me when I'm at school, and when I'm sitting in my car waiting waiting on my g/f. >_<"

Specs:
    MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
    I think you made the right choice. People keep forgetting that the way in which the new GPUs handle HD video is very different. Also the GPU will be very important for Snow Leopard.
    MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
    iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
    Check out my flickr

Thread Information