New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Old vs. New. Which one?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ultimate008

ultimate008 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
I found out my university store is selling the old MBP at closeout prices. What are the advantages offered by the new MBP compared to the old one? Here are my options:

2.4Ghz MBP with 256MB Video, 200Gb hard drive-->$1399
2.5Ghz MBP with 512MB Video, 250Gb hard drive-->$1599
New MBP 2.4Ghz with 256MB GDDR3 and 250Gb-->$1899

Please keep in mind the price does matter. I am just thinking about the overall best values.

Thanks,
AZ
QUOTE Thanks
Santino

Santino is on a distinguished road

The usual, what you are you gonna do with the MBP?, what programs?, and so on...

Intel iMac 24" 2.8Ghz / 4gb
PowerBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz / 1.25gb
2Gb Black iPod Nano 1G
Canon 30D, recently inherited!
QUOTE Thanks
dougnewman

dougnewman is on a distinguished road

The old one is certainly a better value.

The old 2.5GHz model will perform better at nearly everything than the new 2.4GHz, and the old 2.4GHz only marginally worse.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

The CPU has a higher Cache, and DDR3 RAM is very fast. That's probably it. Everything else is pretty cosmetic. IE. Glasspad and everything else. Maybe the GPU is slightly better because it has two chips sets...?
QUOTE Thanks
ultimate008

ultimate008 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I am getting my PhD in Materials Science and Engineering. I occasionally do some ANSYS modelling. But my main use of the laptop is for presentations and ms office stuff. I just went and purchased the new Macbook 2.4ghz. I chose it because of its increased portability, good integrated graphics and amazing construction. The MBP is not for me because it is significantly heavier.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate008 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am getting my PhD in Materials Science and Engineering. I occasionally do some ANSYS modelling. But my main use of the laptop is for presentations and ms office stuff. I just went and purchased the new Macbook 2.4ghz. I chose it because of its increased portability, good integrated graphics and amazing construction. The MBP is not for me because it is significantly heavier.
I'd say that's a good choice as well. ^-^" I like the size of the 13" MB myself, but I often times find myself using my 17" a lot more. I only bring my 13" MB with me when I'm at school, and when I'm sitting in my car waiting waiting on my g/f. >_<"
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

I think you made the right choice. People keep forgetting that the way in which the new GPUs handle HD video is very different. Also the GPU will be very important for Snow Leopard.

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery Problem- very confusing! | Magsafe charger wont work anymore »