New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Battery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

meddyliol

meddyliol is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook white, 2.4GHz, 2GB ram, 160GB hard drive

I expect that someone has already asked this at some time and if so, I apologise in advance. Is it wise to leave the battery permanently connected to the mains? or should it be run down occasionally. I have the coconutBattery application and it is referring to battery loadcycles. What does this mean? I obviously want to get the best life out of the battery so any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

90% of the time my MBP is plugged in. But every once in a while I unplug it and let it drain all the way down. Keeps the battery hovering at between 99% and 100%.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
meddyliol

meddyliol is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook white, 2.4GHz, 2GB ram, 160GB hard drive

Ok, that seems a good idea.

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
kipo

kipo is on a distinguished road

ermm ive been using it without the battery connected lately didnt think it really mattered that much...hmm *note to self plug battery in when i use it*.?
QUOTE Thanks
ph!lo.

ph!lo. is on a distinguished road

But isn't overcharging the battery bad for it?
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph!lo. View Post
But isn't overcharging the battery bad for it?
You can not overcharge most modern batteries.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
kipo

so you all plug your macs up when you use it?
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipo View Post
so you all plug your macs up when you use it?
Most of the time yes. Why not? I am sitting at my desk.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
krepta

krepta is on a distinguished road

I heard that the battery's lifespan is based on number of charge cycles, not time. 1 cycle being: discharge, recharge. So wouldn't leaving it plugged in and cycling between 96 and 100%, instead of something like 10 and 100%, burn it out quicker? (or does it switch off the battery and run exclusively off the AC when full?)

I'm on a regular MacBook (intel) and I want to leave it plugged in more often. I'm considering taking the battery out when it's running off AC.
QUOTE Thanks
tkim

tkim will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive

Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

The less load cycles the longer the battery will last.

Use not abuse the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
kipo

^ wow thanks for that link...but I still don't really understand what is classed as 'cycles' (sorry I'm a little slow at this) ><
QUOTE Thanks
Wiss

Wiss is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: New Macbook 13.3", 2.4Ghz, 4GB Ram, 250GB, GeForce 9400m

'cycle' is when battery is used up then charged to full. That is 1 cycle

I think that's what it is...
QUOTE Thanks
zackplanet42

zackplanet42 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krepta View Post
I heard that the battery's lifespan is based on number of charge cycles, not time. 1 cycle being: discharge, recharge. So wouldn't leaving it plugged in and cycling between 96 and 100%, instead of something like 10 and 100%, burn it out quicker? (or does it switch off the battery and run exclusively off the AC when full?)

I'm on a regular MacBook (intel) and I want to leave it plugged in more often. I'm considering taking the battery out when it's running off AC.
For batteries using lithium chemistries the more charge the battery has the longer the lifespan of the battery. So basically keeping it plugged in as much as possible is good.
QUOTE Thanks
iLaw

iLaw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS

Well from personal experience, My battery's health went down to 50% in a matter of 6 months when I left it plugged in all the time (I used to use my laptop as a portable desktop i.e. Always closed, using DVI out and bluetooth keyboard and mouse). 150 charge cycles and it was at 50% health. After getting results like this, my battery was replaced under AppleCare/Warranty because it was not performing to specifications.

Now, with my new battery, I let it drain to 40-50% and plug it back in, doing a calibration every 1st of the month. I'm at 170 charge cycles and my battery is at 91% health.

My Advice: don't leave it charging all the time. Even Apple says that the "ideal use would be a commuter who uses her MacBook Pro on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge"; which implies that the batteries were intended to be drained and then recharged to "keep the juices flowing".

iLaw
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010) + White 32GB Rogers iPhone 3GS
2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, Intel HD/512 MB GeForce 330M Graphics, Hi-Res 15" Glossy Screen, Mac OS X v10.6
QUOTE Thanks
zackplanet42

zackplanet42 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLaw View Post
Well from personal experience, My battery's health went down to 50% in a matter of 6 months when I left it plugged in all the time (I used to use my laptop as a portable desktop i.e. Always closed, using DVI out and bluetooth keyboard and mouse). 150 charge cycles and it was at 50% health. After getting results like this, my battery was replaced under AppleCare/Warranty because it was not performing to specifications.

Now, with my new battery, I let it drain to 40-50% and plug it back in, doing a calibration every 1st of the month. I'm at 170 charge cycles and my battery is at 91% health.

My Advice: don't leave it charging all the time. Even Apple says that the "ideal use would be a commuter who uses her MacBook Pro on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge"; which implies that the batteries were intended to be drained and then recharged to "keep the juices flowing".
i have found a few rules about Lithium-Ion batteries

* Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a long time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%–60%. Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled") like Ni-Cd batteries, but this is necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any external electronic "fuel gauge" (e. g. State Of Charge meter). This prevents the fuel gauge from showing an incorrect battery charge.[21]
* Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.
* Li-ion batteries should not be frozen [37] (most lithium-ion battery electrolytes freeze at approximately −40 °C; however, this is much colder than the lowest temperature reached by household freezers).
* Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.[21]
* When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, the battery should be removed,[38] and stored in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Memory & Storage | lights on keyboard broken »