New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

UK Question: Where can i get my HDD upgraded?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crisrose

Hi all

Well i've had my 1.2Ghz 12" iBook for a few months now, i've already maxxed out the memory and am finding that it's so good, i'm becoming increasingly dependant on what was just meant to be a desktop companion.

Anyways, i was stupid when i bought it, and only got a 30gb HDD, forgetting that the programs would take up space (or something like that, i don't know what posessed me really)

I know i can crack it open and stick any old 2.5 inch ATA 100 HDD in there myself, but i don't fancy killing the warrenty just yet.

Therefore, where can i get the HDD upgraded in a warrenty friendly manner? I'm in West London btw.

Also, as i'm sure this place would have to be Apple approved, will they actually put a HDD in that i've not bought from apple?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but i've done a search and couldn't find anything...

Cheers
--
Cris
QUOTE Thanks
crisrose

so noone knows anything then?

has anyone actually done this while in warrenty at all?
QUOTE Thanks
NightCrawler

NightCrawler is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen

cant you do it at the Applestore?

Quote:
- It's like - he was got - they'd just like. It was like so hush hush. They were so... quiet about it. And then the next thing you know...
QUOTE Thanks
Echo_

good question... best thing is to call them and ask
tell us your response because imcurious about that too
also you can get an external hd
QUOTE Thanks
crisrose

The apple store in London is well out of my way. I was hoping that there was a list of authorised places you could go to get your Mac fiddled with without killing the warrenty.

And yes, i know i can use an external drive, but it's not as robust (i know because i killed a 200gb one and lost a lot of stuff) and it kind of kills the small form factor and wireless nature of my iBook that are some of it's major features.

I can't believe none of you have had this done before!
QUOTE Thanks
alejandrico

alejandrico is on a distinguished road

I haven't done that either, but I would be very interested in know what apple says about upgrading the HD in an iBook
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBooks and hardrives... | i need help with this.. quick »