New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Anyone play WoW on their G4 iBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

WoW = World of Warcraft

I would have assumed it would run fairly well, but in another thread, from another forum, someone said the performance wasn't very good.

The requirements are:
Mac® System OS X 10.3.5 OS:
933 MHz or higher G4 or G5 processor
512 MB RAM or higher; DDR RAM recommended
ATI or NVIDIA video hardware with 32 MB VRAM or more
4 GB or more of available hard drive space

Anyone play? Your thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
Phiber

I have heard the same, but unfortunatly have not had the chance to play myself. To me it would seem it should work. However, you've only got the 'minimal' system requirements (as far as the video card goes) it will not be optimal.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well, those are the bare minimum requirements, I would assume that the game would run with that configuration - but only just.

As the current iBook only barely exceeds those specs, my guess is that performance will be sluggish.

Most games don't seem to be optimized very well on the macintosh platform, or maybe it is just the way the system handles 3D rendering, who knows...

Fact is that most games perform better on similar PC machines...
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Fact is that most games perform better on similar PC machines...

The minimum requirements for the Windows version are lower than that of the Mac version. My current PC laptop plays it pretty well, I would hate to get an iBook and then not be able to play it. Since the iBook is similar in specs to the mac mini, I bet it wouldn't be very great also. I'll just have to save for a Powermac :robot:
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I would wait for a faster iBook then if you can...

The nexz rev. will have better graphics cards (hopefully) as well as faster cpu's - and then they should play WOW fairly decently..
QUOTE Thanks
Mahone

Mahone is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" G4 1.2 GHz iBook 768mb

My experience, with PCs anyway, is to never, ever go by the minimum requirements. Every game I've been heavily involved with has had scores of posts on their forums, complaining about crappy performance with minimum requirement machines. I'm talking games like Tribes2, Planetside, Battlefield 1942, Morrowind, etc.

From what I keep reading, I'm leaving my gaming to my Gamecube when I purchase my iBook, anyway.

But good luck, cuz I hear WoW is amazing!
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
I would wait for a faster iBook then if you can...

The nexz rev. will have better graphics cards (hopefully) as well as faster cpu's - and then they should play WOW fairly decently..
Considering the iBook was recently revised, I doubt I will be still playing by the time the next generation comes out. I am already level 45, max level is 60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahone
My experience, with PCs anyway, is to never, ever go by the minimum requirements.
The minimum requirements for WoW on the PC side is 800mhz and 256mb ram, I have 1.3ghz and 640mb, it does good, but I wouldn't want to run it with any less.
QUOTE Thanks
flonejek

Just a side note what realm are you guys playing on?, I'm in the Frostwolf realm in he guild 'True Heroes' as a lvl 35 Tauren Druid (Horde)
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by flonejek
Just a side note what realm are you guys playing on?, I'm in the Frostwolf realm in he guild 'True Heroes' as a lvl 35 Tauren Druid (Horde)
Bleeding Hollow
QUOTE Thanks
Mark

I have the a Ibook 1.33GHz G4, but the graphics have some problems on mine....

I can see the background is being drawing then i play... On my old PC 1,8Ghz i have no problems? Maybe it is the settings on my Ibook in WOW.

What settings are you using?

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

On my PC everything is maxed except AA, at 1600x1200. I don't expect the iBook to be able to keep up with that though.
QUOTE Thanks
PrimeRib

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
On my PC everything is maxed except AA, at 1600x1200. I don't expect the iBook to be able to keep up with that though.

I've installed and played a bit, running in Orgrimmar for about 10 minutes. Haren't really tackled much, but found for some lite WOW gaming on the road, it should suffice.
I've been using a 12'iBook with an extra 512MB of memory (total = 768K) so that may be why I got a few more FPS out of it than some of the other fellas who have posted thus far.

I purchased this iBook for word processing, writing, itunes, surfing and DVD watching and already have a PC lappy that can run almost anything. Yet, I was very curious as to how WOW would perform.

When I get home, I'll try to run more extensive tests for you...
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Ctrl + R will show you framerate.
QUOTE Thanks
PrimeRib

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
Ctrl + R will show you framerate.
Just ran it for a bit, with all settings low, at native resolution, full screen and no eye candy on.

lowest FPS in town of Xroads on a low populated server (Daggerspire) was 5FPS

once I got out of town and ran around, even free looking and scanning the countryside while running, FPS hit as high as 30FPS with intermittant drops to about high teens to low 20s.

In short : playable if you absolutely need to get your fix. In fact, I found with all settings low, it wasnt too bad at all - the game still looks really good. And as long as you can put up with the hella low FPS while in town, then you're set. I'd imagine with a full 1.2Gig of RAM your performance may increase a few FPS but I'm not sure...

Hope this info helps!

-PrimeRib
QUOTE Thanks
McGuillicuddy

Can you squeeze out a few more FPS if you run at 800 x 600? Also, you mentioned that the FPS dropped as low as 5 in town, was it consistently at 5 or just here and there?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery Life/Question... | Garage Band real-time playing problems.. »