New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Are the upgrades from apple worth it for the new Macbook Pros?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

snoopnick

snoopnick is on a distinguished road

So first I want to say that I did many searches and i couldn't find anything or I couldn't tell if they were talking about the old or new macbook pros.

I remember for the older models macbook and macbook pros the upgrades for ram were something ridiculous like $600 when you could get them on newegg for about a sixth of that price. Now the new macbook pro RAM upgrades are only $150. Why is that? Does that price therefore make it worth it to just buy it straight from apple?

Same question with the HD upgrades. ANd if not, could someone help me with where I should start in getting RAM and HD upgrades. I'm looking for at least 4GB RAM and 320GB HD.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

The RAM from apple this time around is pretty comparable to what other third party RAM. You can check the price here from a small comparison.

Although I'm unsure of what brand of RAM they are using and therefore I don't know what the timings are and the volts are most likely 1.5V

The HDD you can buy and install yourself. Again I don't know what brand they are using and you can buy a 320GB 7200RPM for less than 100 US dollars with free shipping at newegg.

Apparently apple only charges an extra 50 dollars for a 320GB 7200RPM. If they use Seagate or WD I would totally go for it.
QUOTE Thanks
bad.heron

bad.heron is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT

I didn't see much difference in upgrading via apple or buying yourself from a 3rd party so I upgraded via Apples Online store when I purchased mine.

15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black
QUOTE Thanks
AirAddict

AirAddict is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0 uni

yea for the New macbook get it from Apple little price difference.
QUOTE Thanks
snoopnick

snoopnick is on a distinguished road

so what speeds and voltages should i be looking for on the RAM?
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.2-MacMini3,1:10.9.2-iPhone6,1:7.1

Snag the Apple RAM if you can wait for the extra build time. My aftermarket OWC RAM worked fine, but I was sweating it out for a while as many other folks were not so lucky. The 7200rpm 250GB HDD they offer is fairly competitively priced as well.

Privacy has become a luxury good. Be prepared to budget for it from here on out...
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Apple does not make RAM. It's simply bought by them, just like everyone else. The majority I've seen in recent years has been made by Samsung. So technically, as long as you're not buying greymarket or questionable quality there is no difference (assuming you buy the same spec). The price difference now seems to be within $50. That's still too much for me to pay someone else to perform a 3 minute task.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Firewire 800 only on new MBP! | Which laptop to keep »