New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Won't boot past grey screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Trigster

Trigster is on a distinguished road

Hello all,
Hoping someone can offer me some help. My macbook won't boot past the grey screen with the apple logo with the spinning disc. I've left it for around an hour and nothing happens.

I've seen a few problems relating to a question mark on the grey screen, but this doesn;t happen with me. I've also tried the control-apple-p-r thing, but that didn;t seem to work either.

All this happened after installing a few auto updates last night.

Anyone offer any help? I'm really hoping i haven;t lost all my pics/music and other documents as i don';t have them backed up.

Thanks in advance for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
MacJuen

MacJuen is an unknown at this point

Alright, I had the same problem and none of those commands worked either for me. There are I believe 2 other commands you could try. Bare with me if they are incorrect. CMD + S (hold while starting up). I can't think of the other one but I have one last suggestion.

I firewired my G4 to my Macbook Pro, turned on both systems. Then restarted the G4 and my MBP came to life and booted past the grey screen. Hopefully this will work for you as well. Please update us.

2013 15" MBP - 2.6ghz QC i7 - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD
2002 G4 Tower - Dual 450s - 1GB RAM - 270GB HD
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Press and hold command (applekey) + R + p + ctrl whle booting the macbook wait until it does the apple dong sounds 3 times then realease the keys.
QUOTE Thanks
MacJuen

MacJuen is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian View Post
Press and hold command (applekey) + R + p + ctrl whle booting the macbook wait until it does the apple dong sounds 3 times then realease the keys.
I believe you only wait for the sound twice, according to Apple Support.

2013 15" MBP - 2.6ghz QC i7 - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD
2002 G4 Tower - Dual 450s - 1GB RAM - 270GB HD
QUOTE Thanks
PetitPaien

PetitPaien is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJuen View Post
Alright, I had the same problem and none of those commands worked either for me. There are I believe 2 other commands you could try. Bare with me if they are incorrect. CMD + S (hold while starting up). I can't think of the other one but I have one last suggestion.

I firewired my G4 to my Macbook Pro, turned on both systems. Then restarted the G4 and my MBP came to life and booted past the grey screen. Hopefully this will work for you as well. Please update us.
What do i do after that? That just leads me to a window that readsy a big mess then at the bottom "If you wish to boot the system, but stay in single usuer mode:
sh /etc/rc
localhost:/ rott#

what do i do after that?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery not detected | Macbook TECHNICAL information »