New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Difference in display ports???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jmurr187

Jmurr187 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192

Hey guys, I'm reading a lot about the new MBP's coming out and I'm seeing a few different display ports. The new MB has "mini display port" the old MB has "mini DVI" (or something), and my MBP (2 years old) has a standard DVI port.

I want to know if there's any difference in any of these ports? Or if they just differ physically?
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Yes indeed, they are different.

DVI - the current industry standard for digital video. The MacBook Pro has a dual link (or full) DVI port which is able to power a 30" display.

Mini-DVI - shaped differently from the full DVI. Carries half the bandwidth and can power a 24" digital display.

Mini DisplayPort - a brand new technology for video. It can carries a lot of video bandwidth, allowing even the smallest MacBook to power upto a 30" display. I don't know where one gets a full DisplayPort though.
Note that the DisplayPort is also capable of carrying an audio signal, much like HDMI ports on consumer electronics.

Mini DisplayPort to DVI connectors are available from Apple. They are needed should you want to connect any external monitor other than the new 24" Apple LED Display.

Any particular reason for this question?
QUOTE Thanks
Jmurr187

Jmurr187 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192

Wow thanks a lot man for clearing that up. I was looking into upgrading to one of the new MBP's. I think I'm going to wait for the 17" to come out, that's what I have now. I actually used the DVI to HDMI on my HDTV and it works amazing. One of the only ways to truly get 1080P.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to Mac, what to buy? | SR MBP Wakes immediately after being put to sleep »