New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Just My little Opinion about the New MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ear_lobe

ear_lobe is on a distinguished road

I live in nyc and have access to the huge apple store (one of the finest) in all the land, 59th st. and 5th ave., yes the store that looks like a lighted cube and open 24/7.. Anyways i was using some of the latest MBP trying to decide whether i should exchange a previous generation MBP i bought right around the same time the new ones came out. There were a few things i enjoyed about the new MBP's. I liked the magnetic latch that held the screen down. As well as the unibody shell, that made it feel so solid.

Things that i didn't like about it were the new trackpad and the display. Display just looks like a cheap HP PC, I just don't like the glossyness, this should be offered as a preference and not some mandatory save the world from mercury monitors. I also didn't like the trackpad. The whole trackpad is said to be made of glass, but what does that matter when they put a coat of material down that makes it feel exactly like the previous trackpad? The glass does nothing beyond that, i like my iphone i actually wouldn't mind if it was of actual glass w/o the coated material to add "friction." In fact if that's an issue, they should just sell an accessory to give that friction effect and leave the glass as it is. Why even mention this if that was the case? Also the trackpad is hard to depress, yes i know i can switch to the tap feature, but why even have the ability for the trackpad to depress when you need to figure out workarounds when it doesn't work the way it should? I paid two grand for this and now i have to trick it into working how it should? When i buy a car i shouldn't have to bust out a slimjim and jimmy the lock to get inside because the locks don't work. Also the trackpad does not always register my all of my movements. While i was moving the cursor, i noticed a few occassions the trackpad was unresponsive and didn't register any movements when my finger was fondling it. It felt like i was trying to make a move on my girlfriend who was just not into me anymore, "no, please no - get off me." Feeling this type of rejection from another human being is understood, but from a computer, is very unreasonable. I tested several other computers and their trackpads weren't 100% responsive, they would track your movements and other times they wouldn't. And as for the keypad, don't get me started on the keypad! I just don't enjoy how the color scheme doesn't match up w/ the entire body. If they had the same keys w/ maybe aluminum etched keypads that would be going more towards the right direction, but the old black keys, wasn't that a throw back from the g3 notebooks? Yes, i know, there's a lot to complain about, i'm asian, i need to get this stuff out of my system. We asians expect a lot out of our electronics, for f* sake, we even made robotic dogs, now that's extreme. I'm going to lay down and have a drink.
QUOTE Thanks
tcphoto

tcphoto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP

I had the same dilemma, I picked up a previous MBP on 10/2 and was very happy with it. Then the notebook event was announced and it made me think about what was to come. After seeing the images with the glossy display, black keyboard, one piece trackpad and then no FW400, I was hard pressed to make a decision. I am a photographer and mainly shoot tethered with a DSLR plus I didn't know about calibrating and editing images on a glossy display.

I went into the Apple Store with one day left on my return period. There were no new machines on display but I did speak to an associate about my options. A few minutes later the Manager came out and was very pleasant. The associate followed up shortly after that carrying a new MBP. I noticed the smaller box and I was set in a matter of minutes. I certainly give Apple kudos for their stellar Customer Service and I am quite happy with my MBP.

www.tcphoto.org
http://web.mac.com/tcphoto1/Fashion/Fashion.html
Unibody MBP, iPhone, Canon 1DsII, Profoto and most important, Imagination!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« keyboard & trackpad not responding | Question on MacBook... »