New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Virtual PC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

earlthepearl

I have to run Virtual PC on one of my Macs soon for College to run XP Pro and Office 2003 Pro.
I would prefer to use my Powerbook. The Microsoft site says 700 MHz min. My powerbook has 667 MHz. I have 768 MB ram. Does anyone know if Virtual PC will install on my system? I also have a Imac with a processor a little larger if I do have to go that route. The Powerbook is just a faster machine, so was hoping that will run it.
Earl Tash
Please send info to:
earltash@yahoo.com :mac: :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Why do you need to run XP Pro? You can get Office X for OS X. Virtual PC is an incredibly slow and annoying program to use

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
ablangc

Just get Mac Office 2004 Student/Teacher edition.
QUOTE Thanks
earlthepearl

I now have Office 2004, but they say I need Access, which Office 2004 doesn't have. I am now using 2004 to do what I can for this first week.

For my college class- computers- That's just the requirment. XP Pro and Office 2003 Pro. Hope when UPS finally drops it off it will run on my Powerbook. I need to be able to run Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access.
Earl

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Why do you need to run XP Pro? You can get Office X for OS X. Virtual PC is an incredibly slow and annoying program to use
QUOTE Thanks
Danster

i think that's another smart move for microsoft !
they miss one vital program that most people need for work/college
so you have to end up buying a pc with whadyaknow window xp+office

Sumbags!!! no 1 should have to suffer the use of xp after you have used OS X
QUOTE Thanks
earlthepearl

Yes I agree with you there. Windows sure sucks. I will hate having to deal with it threw this computer class. Hopefully after this class is over I won't have to deal with Winows or Virtual PC again for a while. OS X rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danster
i think that's another smart move for microsoft !
they miss one vital program that most people need for work/college
so you have to end up buying a pc with whadyaknow window xp+office

Sumbags!!! no 1 should have to suffer the use of xp after you have used OS X
QUOTE Thanks
NuKe

Jeez, I have to use Virtual PC for college for my engineering courses. It is stupid, our Prof. is forcing us to use AutoCAD, which is only available for PCs, so I have to run Virtual PC 7 to run it, and it draws so slowly, especially when we are doing things in 3-D, bahhh, I hate it, but its still better than running a PC, lol.
-Mike
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

one recommendation: use windows 2000 instead of xp, it's much more responsive and faster
QUOTE Thanks
earlthepearl

Well it is in, and it works just find. A little slower that running a actual PC, but not a lot. Runs Office 2003 suite no problems. But!!!!!! It's still Winsuck!!! We all know what that means.

http://www.geocities.com/earltash/Winsuck.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

i just bought virtual pc becuase some of the cds that came with my textbook only run on pc. I must say the new version is a **** of a lot better than the older ones. I was pretty impressed. but then again i have 1.25 gb of ram and im sure that made some difference
QUOTE Thanks
Gregg

I just loaded it on my 1.33GHz 12inch PB with no issues. Are you sure that Win2k is better? I heard that XP does a better job with VPC?
QUOTE Thanks
jbsengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
I just loaded it on my 1.33GHz 12inch PB with no issues. Are you sure that Win2k is better? I heard that XP does a better job with VPC?
gregg,

how well does the xp run? mine seems to be SUPER SLOW> how much ram do you allocate etc?

Josh
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsengineer
gregg,

how well does the xp run? mine seems to be SUPER SLOW> how much ram do you allocate etc?

Josh

i allocated it 512mb and it seems fine.. its kinda slow to boot up, but once its running it isnt too terrible. i mean i would under no means run office for windows on it, but for less resource intensive applications it works fine
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Do you guys have any ideas on this one?

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2005/02/01.13.shtml
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
Do you guys have any ideas on this one?

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2005/02/01.13.shtml
it would certainly be worth a shot.. Im my opinion i dont think any windows emulation software will ever be as fast as any of us would like it to be, but in my opinion the newest vpc from microsoft comes close enough.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook drawlings | NTFS External HDD & my iBook? »