Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lower-End MBP Is A Waste of Money for me
    I think that the lower-end MBP is a waste of money compared to the high-end MB. These are the only differences I see in the two.

>PRO has a separate discrete graphics card 9600m gt
    >PRO weighs 1 pound more
    >PRO has bigger screen by 2 inches.
    >PRO has FireWire 800
    >PRO has ExpressCard/34 slot

2.4 Macbook = $1599 2.4 Macbook Pro = $1999

Is $400 really worth the slight differences stated above? Am I overlooking something?

Specs:
    15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
    Quote Originally Posted by pangit View Post
    I think that the lower-end MBP is a waste of money compared to the high-end MB. These are the only differences I see in the two.

>PRO has a separate discrete graphics card 9600m gt
    >PRO weighs 1 pound more
    >PRO has bigger screen by 2 inches.
    >PRO has FireWire 800
    >PRO has ExpressCard/34 slot

2.4 Macbook = $1599 2.4 Macbook Pro = $1999

Is $400 really worth the slight differences stated above? Am I overlooking something?
    And you don't believe that whole list of features is worth 400 dollars?
    15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black

This person probably won't even make another post, but to answer your question.

For the extra display real estate, and the dedicated graphics card. I would definitely pay the extra $400.

I guess it comes down to person preference.
    -13.3 Macbook Pro Retina / 64GB iP5 / 16GB iPad Mini

$400 may be a little steep but the dedicated GPU is definitely worth it. Especially considering the fact that Gizmodo has no confirmed with nvidia that users should be able to swap between the cards without logging out. Not to mention, GeforceBoost should be doable on the MBP apparently.

Now, just time to wait for Apple to write the code

I personally would make the jump too Pro too. I was just posting in the mindset of my girlfriend. I'm trying to get her to go pro as I had (I have a 2.1 MBP), yet the arguments she presented to me seem hard to rebuttal. At first she wanted to go Pro before the keynote, but because of these reasons she is deciding to just get a MacBook:

same CPU
    same HDD
    same Backlit Keys
    same Appearance

Oh, and she also says its "cute" (small). Go figure...

Specs:
    MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
    I know what you mean. When I was buying my pro. My girlfriend told me to get MB as it was smaller and cuter.
    MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
    iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
    Check out my flickr

Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    I went with the Pro over the MB for the exact reasons stated in the first post. I wanted the graphics, bigger screen, Express 34 (which I actually use) and the FW800 port. $100 a piece seemed fair enough. I'm loving it thus far. I am extremely happy with how fast ZP runs under Parallels now when I have to use work-related software like my time sheet and MS Visio.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

Yea, I love my current MPB, but the new models are so sleek. Gotta resist the urge to impulse shop.

But to reiterate... definitely go for the Pro.
    -13.3 Macbook Pro Retina / 64GB iP5 / 16GB iPad Mini

My girlfriend says that she doesn't need the extra ports or the extra GPU, so she thinks that she'll be paying $400 extra for the bigger screen and greater weight. I'm trying to get her to go Pro because honestly, I will find myself playing with it too. I need more reasons for her to go Pro.

>>we checked out the computers a couple days ago. The speakers are definitely louder and sound better.

Specs:
    15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
    Well, its faster. Has More HD space and there is a whole list of things. Just go on the Apple website and compare specs of the macs and you will be able to tell her that there are tons of reasons why the Pro is Better
    15.4" MacBook Pro Unibody
    2.4GHz 4GB Ram and 500GB HD nVidia Geforce 9600

I think the Firewire alone is worth a lot. I can't believe Apple omitted this on their new MacBooks.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by how its animals are treated.

-Mahatma Ghandi

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    All these features are "worth it" only if you use it.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

I think all of the extra features mentioned are definitely worth it. Plus, I purchased the MBP as an investment that would last me for 3-5 years. In my opinion, the MBP just seems more "future proof" as far as software updates and the ability to run future operating systems/games. I definitely vouch for the MBP though!
    New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    All these features are "worth it" only if you use it.
    X2
    I use a MBP at work but will be picking up a MB for just using around the house because I don't need any of the things listed. In reality unless she really needs the additional graphics processing ability I would agree with your gf. Why spend an extra 400 dollars on something you wont use? If you concerned about the 2 extra inches on the screen the 400 dollar difference goes a long way for a 20 or 24 inch external monitor....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael415 View Post
    X2
    I use a MBP at work but will be picking up a MB for just using around the house because I don't need any of the things listed. In reality unless she really needs the additional graphics processing ability I would agree with your gf. Why spend an extra 400 dollars on something you wont use? If you concerned about the 2 extra inches on the screen the 400 dollar difference goes a long way for a 20 or 24 inch external monitor....
    hmm... excellent point. That is almost half the price of the new 24" Cinema Displays.

Thread Information