New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Lower-End MBP Is A Waste of Money for me

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pangit

pangit is on a distinguished road

I think that the lower-end MBP is a waste of money compared to the high-end MB. These are the only differences I see in the two.

>PRO has a separate discrete graphics card 9600m gt
>PRO weighs 1 pound more
>PRO has bigger screen by 2 inches.
>PRO has FireWire 800
>PRO has ExpressCard/34 slot

2.4 Macbook = $1599 2.4 Macbook Pro = $1999

Is $400 really worth the slight differences stated above? Am I overlooking something?
QUOTE Thanks
bad.heron

bad.heron is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangit View Post
I think that the lower-end MBP is a waste of money compared to the high-end MB. These are the only differences I see in the two.

>PRO has a separate discrete graphics card 9600m gt
>PRO weighs 1 pound more
>PRO has bigger screen by 2 inches.
>PRO has FireWire 800
>PRO has ExpressCard/34 slot

2.4 Macbook = $1599 2.4 Macbook Pro = $1999

Is $400 really worth the slight differences stated above? Am I overlooking something?
And you don't believe that whole list of features is worth 400 dollars?

15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black
QUOTE Thanks
05GT

05GT will become famous soon enough

This person probably won't even make another post, but to answer your question.

For the extra display real estate, and the dedicated graphics card. I would definitely pay the extra $400.

I guess it comes down to person preference.

-13.3 Macbook Pro Retina / 64GB iP5 / 16GB iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
fungry

fungry is on a distinguished road

$400 may be a little steep but the dedicated GPU is definitely worth it. Especially considering the fact that Gizmodo has no confirmed with nvidia that users should be able to swap between the cards without logging out. Not to mention, GeforceBoost should be doable on the MBP apparently.

Now, just time to wait for Apple to write the code
QUOTE Thanks
pangit

I personally would make the jump too Pro too. I was just posting in the mindset of my girlfriend. I'm trying to get her to go pro as I had (I have a 2.1 MBP), yet the arguments she presented to me seem hard to rebuttal. At first she wanted to go Pro before the keynote, but because of these reasons she is deciding to just get a MacBook:

same CPU
same HDD
same Backlit Keys
same Appearance

Oh, and she also says its "cute" (small). Go figure...
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

I know what you mean. When I was buying my pro. My girlfriend told me to get MB as it was smaller and cuter.

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I went with the Pro over the MB for the exact reasons stated in the first post. I wanted the graphics, bigger screen, Express 34 (which I actually use) and the FW800 port. $100 a piece seemed fair enough. I'm loving it thus far. I am extremely happy with how fast ZP runs under Parallels now when I have to use work-related software like my time sheet and MS Visio.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
05GT

05GT will become famous soon enough

Yea, I love my current MPB, but the new models are so sleek. Gotta resist the urge to impulse shop.

But to reiterate... definitely go for the Pro.

-13.3 Macbook Pro Retina / 64GB iP5 / 16GB iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
pangit

My girlfriend says that she doesn't need the extra ports or the extra GPU, so she thinks that she'll be paying $400 extra for the bigger screen and greater weight. I'm trying to get her to go Pro because honestly, I will find myself playing with it too. I need more reasons for her to go Pro.

>>we checked out the computers a couple days ago. The speakers are definitely louder and sound better.
QUOTE Thanks
Mjc.americor

Mjc.americor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz

Well, its faster. Has More HD space and there is a whole list of things. Just go on the Apple website and compare specs of the macs and you will be able to tell her that there are tons of reasons why the Pro is Better

15.4" MacBook Pro Unibody
2.4GHz 4GB Ram and 500GB HD nVidia Geforce 9600
QUOTE Thanks
Christopher

Christopher is an unknown at this point

I think the Firewire alone is worth a lot. I can't believe Apple omitted this on their new MacBooks.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by how its animals are treated.

-Mahatma Ghandi
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

All these features are "worth it" only if you use it.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

I think all of the extra features mentioned are definitely worth it. Plus, I purchased the MBP as an investment that would last me for 3-5 years. In my opinion, the MBP just seems more "future proof" as far as software updates and the ability to run future operating systems/games. I definitely vouch for the MBP though!

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
Michael415

Michael415 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
All these features are "worth it" only if you use it.
X2
I use a MBP at work but will be picking up a MB for just using around the house because I don't need any of the things listed. In reality unless she really needs the additional graphics processing ability I would agree with your gf. Why spend an extra 400 dollars on something you wont use? If you concerned about the 2 extra inches on the screen the 400 dollar difference goes a long way for a 20 or 24 inch external monitor....
QUOTE Thanks
pangit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael415 View Post
X2
I use a MBP at work but will be picking up a MB for just using around the house because I don't need any of the things listed. In reality unless she really needs the additional graphics processing ability I would agree with your gf. Why spend an extra 400 dollars on something you wont use? If you concerned about the 2 extra inches on the screen the 400 dollar difference goes a long way for a 20 or 24 inch external monitor....
hmm... excellent point. That is almost half the price of the new 24" Cinema Displays.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery compartment doesn't open in Macbook | Odd question »