New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Speck hard plastic case - Keeps Mac hot?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aecaudel

aecaudel is on a distinguished road

I have a Macbook Pro that I bought the Speck case for but I am wondering if it was a bad idea. I was playing the demo for the X-Plane game when I noticed that the Mac was pretty hot - very hot. So I am wondering if the plastic case insulates the the Mac to much and prevents the aluminum case from doing its job to cool the Mac?

Anyone else with any experience along this line?
QUOTE Thanks
timestoby

timestoby is on a distinguished road

maybe it was hot cause you were playn a game,dunno. im going to get the speck case,so hope its not an issue. shouldnt think it is tho.
QUOTE Thanks
Andy348

Andy348 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130

Well if you were an awesome fast machine and I covered YOU with a case and just left a breathing hole, would you get hot?

That's what I thought.

lol in all seriousness idk
QUOTE Thanks
AirAddict

AirAddict is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0 uni

yes it will get hot and it scratches the MBP easy..sold mine
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I didn't have a problem with heat when I had mine, but I did find it kludgy - especially around the hinge, where it would occasionally catch on itself. It got so bad that the plastic actually cracked after some use.

I had the same problems with the Techshell case, so I wouldn't recommend either product.

I just picked up an Invisible Shield on eBay yesterday, so if you're interested, I'll let you know how well that works out when it arrives.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
miketrue

miketrue is on a distinguished road

the incase hard case is pretty nice.
QUOTE Thanks
bad.heron

bad.heron is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT

Are you covering any vents with the case? This may be causing the issue.

15.4" Apple Unibody Macbook Pro Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.4), 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066Mz DDR3 SDRAM (2x2GB), 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB, SuperDrive 8X - Apple Remote Infrared (IR) - Logitech MX Performance 2.4 GHz Wireless - Apple Keyboard Bluetooth - iPhone 4 32GB, Black
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.heron View Post
Are you covering any vents with the case? This may be causing the issue.
I don't think anyone in their right mind would do that. If that is the case it's because of bad design. >_>"
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I don't think anyone in their right mind would do that. If that is the case it's because of bad design. >_>"
The Speck case has ventilation cut outs over major heat sources. Although it will increase operating temperature slightly, it's not a cause for concern.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
PROcedures

PROcedures is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro-2.4 GHz, 256 MB Video, 4 GB Ram, 250 Gig HD. 1TB Firewire E-HD, 22' HP Monitor.

I got the invisible shield for my MBP and I absoloutely love it. The problem I was having is that the desks at school are smaller than the bottom of my computer so it would hang off the side of the desk. If I shifted the computer at all the edge of the desk would scratch the bottom of my MacBook Pro. And luckily the invisibleSHIELD is easy to install.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROcedures View Post
I got the invisible shield for my MBP and I absoloutely love it. The problem I was having is that the desks at school are smaller than the bottom of my computer so it would hang off the side of the desk. If I shifted the computer at all the edge of the desk would scratch the bottom of my MacBook Pro. And luckily the invisibleSHIELD is easy to install.
Well, mine just showed up - and although it was a bit tedious to install, it really is a great product. I just wish it was a little less expensive. I can't help but feel ripped off since it really is nothing more than an adhesive backed cellophane film that is cut to fit the different sides of your product.

Of course, now that it's on, I think it's worth it. How long did it take for your micro bubbles to dry out?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New guy with a new to me macbook | Buying a MB 2.0 or 2.4? Also setup... »