New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - My mac is running slow...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kenit

kenit is on a distinguished road

I have had it over a year and it is starting to run slow can anyone help?
QUOTE Thanks
jjay

jjay is on a distinguished road

delete unnecessary data (old folders, docs, etc). i had the same problem. after two years, i complied lots of junk. i didnt want to go through the hassle of sorting through everything so i just backed up all the necessities and went for a complete system restore. i think that would be the best thing to do.
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

did you get the applecare? maybe you can drop it off for them to do a system test. also use the Disk Utility under Applications-->Utilities. It will fix some harddrive errors on the harddrive (if any)

i run it once a month, my MB is pushing 2 1/2 years now
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Sounds like you probably have a build up of crap. Trying cleaning out anything that you don't need anymore (it's always good to do this anyway). Something may also be running at startup that may be slowing you down. Go to System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items and uncheck anything you know you don't need running when you login.

What programs are you running?
QUOTE Thanks
dickandjane

dickandjane is on a distinguished road

My computer has also been running slow. I want to erase and reinstall Lepard on my 2005 Power Gook G4 (no intel) but have one concern. I have everything backed up on a Rugged-LaCie 250 gb external HD through "Time Machine"...if I do an erase and reinstall and then go to use my HD that I backed up before I erased, will all my data be safe? Will the new software ask to use the HD with "Time Machine" and then erase my old data?

Hope that isn't too confusing. All the help is greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for help from a MBP (unibody) owner. | internal cd drive dead, trying to load tiger »