New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

MacBook Pro - The New MBP vs. Old - Better/Worse

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

geneilie

geneilie is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

I was not very happy seeing the new MBP:
1. The screen - the glossy screen + the black border around it (watch out for finger prints)
2. Switching between the graphic cards with log out and back login. I think it's going to be pretty annoying.

I would really like to know what this community has to say abut the new MBP. My first reaction was that Apple blew it with these new products.
QUOTE Thanks
geneilie

geneilie is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Oh, I was so disappointed that I removed the apple sticker from my car
QUOTE Thanks
OSX2009

OSX2009 is on a distinguished road

I'm personally not that impressed with the MBP.

I'd like to see some performance comparisons between the 8600M and the 9600M. From what i can gather they are pretty evenly matched. New case is nice, but I don't know if it's worth the premium. I would have jumped at a MBP if they had added a better performing GPU.

As for logging out to switch between the graphics cards, hopefully they can fix that with a firmware update. It's seems kinda sloppy on their part.

New Macbooks are nice though.
QUOTE Thanks
mick_aka

mick_aka is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT 512MB.

I know it sounds stupid, but I was expecting something really radical from the new MBP, like a quad core inside or something just a ludicrous!
I was also erhaps stupidly expecting the introduction of blu-ray drives?!

Utterly disappointing, and I'm sorry but I hate the new design with a passion.
Add to that the dropping of a proper DVI port and FW and there's just no reason for me to buy one, I thought id left the days of carrying a bag full of cables and adapters behind me.
QUOTE Thanks
Andy348

Andy348 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130

I think Apple took a step forward in terms of video cards and gaming. If you ever hear about the PC guys biggest rant, its about gaming. With amazing graphics cards I've convinced two friends to switch from their PC laptops to new Mac ones.

They could have done a better design and maybe even a blueray drive for the extra cash, but I believe they took a step forward... Albeit a small step.

In short terms, this will boost their sales.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy348 View Post
In short terms, this will boost their sales.
What will ultimately drive sales is a cheaper computer. True, there is the $999 one in the US (no sub $1000 in Canada yet...still hoping) but they need to offer more than the barely sub $1000 Macbook at $999.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

First, there are 800000 threads about this already, albeit you did add a poll.

Logging in and out, seriously is it that big of a deal? You actually get to choose what video device to use, and have the option of extending you battery life by doing so. Seems kind of nitpicky to me.

I have now also posted about 5 times about BlueRay, there was no reason to add it. It is, right now, a format that is not doing well at all, comprising less than 8% of the market! It is expensive, and people are not willing to switch right now. Many analysts are predicting BlueRay to not last very long at all, it is certainly not the next DVD. Not to mention that the hardware is very expensive AND it is a Sony product (licensing it from what I have read is very expensive).

Quadcore? Not yet. One of the MBP's design standards is size, and in this size you can't do a Quadcore chip yet, not unless you want it to be: a) heavier, b) much more expensive, c) bigger to control the heat.

There is still a firewire port on the Pro's, just not the regular Macbooks. The loss of the DVI, ok, I will give you that one, I don't get that. BUT, Apple has always been on the forefront of technology, and this is the new way to go, but I think it might have been a little to early.

There are benchmarks on the new 9600m GT, and it does show an improvement. Whether it is enough for someone to upgrade or not is another thing entirely.

Cheaper products: Apple has never been in this market, and, at least in the near future, they aren't worried about entering it. Why would they? Their sales have done nothing but increase for the last 8 quarters or more (see the keynote). And while the global economy is slowing, they have been around for other recessions and have done fine then as well. While at the Apple store the other day (for about 20 min), I saw at least 15 new MB's and MBP's leaving the place, now, I do live in a quite large city, but still, doesn't seem like too much of a slowdown in business to me. Make your own judgements about the price, but Apple has never had low-end stuff, why start now?

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
fungry

fungry is on a distinguished road

I must agree with the prior post. Don't expect Apple to come in rolling down the hill with a product with a fantastic price tag. Though, I must say, I was also dissapointed because earlier in the year Steve did suggest a product that will priced very competitively.

One thing I just wished on the MBP was an additional USB port. I find having only 2 ports insufficient sometimes. Not a big fan of usb hubs... all the additional dongles are a pain.

IMO, I find that Apple's second configuration for their products (MB and MBP) contain more value then their cheaper brethren. Then again, not everyone has the money to afford an expensive product.
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

Well said lifeafter2am.

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks
tjbackstage

tjbackstage is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)

Yeah, I was at an Apple store on Friday around 1pm in a town of 35,000 and there were so many people there, nobody could or would help me. I must have seen at least 20 MB and MBPs leave...crazy! I think the $1300 MacBook took a step down with a slower processor than before and no firewire now, but I'm quite impressed by the new $2k MBP. It has everything you'd need on a notebook ever and I'm dying for one, I need a new computer!

Notebook: aluminum MacBook (2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3 GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 32GB partition for Vista Home Premium, Ubuntu Linux 8.10 running in VMWare Fusion 2)
iPod: 16GB iPod Touch (2nd generation), 8GB iPod Nano (3rd generation)
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneilie View Post
I was not very happy seeing the new MBP:
1. The screen - the glossy screen + the black border around it (watch out for finger prints)
It's just something you have to get used to. IMO, the benefits in visual quality far outweigh the glare issues.

Quote:
2. Switching between the graphic cards with log out and back login. I think it's going to be pretty annoying.
This is a pretty minor issue, which is addressable in software. I'd be willing to bet 10.5.6 will sort this out. If you can do it on-the-fly in Windows, you should be able to do it in Mac OS X, it's just a matter of a more thorough reworking of the driver.

Quote:
I would really like to know what this community has to say abut the new MBP. My first reaction was that Apple blew it with these new products.
I don't mean to defend Apple on their choice of using a glossy overlay on the screen, because they certainly should be able to just as easily apply a matte overlay, but I think overall, it's a good redesign. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I don't mean to defend Apple on their choice of using a glossy overlay on the screen, because they certainly should be able to just as easily apply a matte overlay, but I think overall, it's a good redesign. You can't please all of the people all of the time.
Exactly.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

rohan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Core i5 12GB| OS X.9.3 | iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.1

i agree that you cant please everyone all the time...but personally i did like the old design more... (for the mbp at least)

but strictly on the matter of looks i liked the fact that the older models were all silver...the black keyboard & screen does not look as good in my opinion..

plus the fact that now the macbooks & macbook pros look pretty much the same

im not sure why they did that...

<< i can explain it to you...but i can't understand it for you... >>
QUOTE Thanks
fungry

fungry is on a distinguished road

I personally find the new MBP attractive except I am rather irritated over the fact that the bezel is black and is reflective (glass). Just makes it a finger print magnet.

Wished they put more oomph into the machine at that kind of price point.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungry View Post
I personally find the new MBP attractive except I am rather irritated over the fact that the bezel is black and is reflective (glass). Just makes it a finger print magnet.

Wished they put more oomph into the machine at that kind of price point.
I seriously doubt you will even notice the black bezel when you are staring at the screen.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading Macbook | Car Powersupply »