New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Stuck on white screen at boot up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Canuck09

Canuck09 is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to figure out what happened to my g/fs Macbook, hoping for some help. It's about 3 years old, runs OS X (not sure on the version but it is updated as needed). Yesterday she was prompted to update a couple programs, not sure which ones. As usual after updating it prompted her to restart the computer which is where the problems started. It now boots to the white screen with apple logo and spinning circle on the bottom, no other symbols/logos appear.

I've read through the sticky at the top of the forum and tried the few things listed. We've tried the PRAM and PMU resets. We've booted into single use mode and tried fsck. The battery is fully charged as well. What should we try next?

Thanks for any help!!
QUOTE Thanks
Canuck09

As an update to this...

I've been playing around, booted up in Verbose mode and it runs through the startup sequence and gets stuck on...

"/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow: Login Window Application Started"

Can anyone help us get beyond this? She has OS X 10.4.11 installed.
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

Archive and install:

Mac OS X: About the Archive and Install feature

Make sure when you update software or if you do archive and install, the computer is plugged into the wall. Never do any updates running off the battery.

Supposedly apple kind of fixed this, but it's always good practice to have the computer plugged in when you update the software.
QUOTE Thanks
Canuck09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsgravy View Post
Archive and install:

Mac OS X: About the Archive and Install feature

Make sure when you update software or if you do archive and install, the computer is plugged into the wall. Never do any updates running off the battery.

Supposedly apple kind of fixed this, but it's always good practice to have the computer plugged in when you update the software.
I was just reading up on this actually. Problem we've run into now is she can't find her Install CD/DVD that it would have come with. Seems like that eliminates this as an option now.

I found this on another board, hopefully it's OK to post links to another forum. I'm not sure what the steps described are doing, but does this sound like it might work?

Apple - Support - Discussions - Startup hangs with "Login Window ...

Thanks for your help!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Burning Dvd's | Gaming on New MacBook? »