Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   Thin vertical lines on screen (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/126127-thin-vertical-lines-screen.html)

michaelruggeri 10-08-2008 06:12 PM

Thin vertical lines on screen

Hi,

I have a 3 year old G4 laptop. I now have 4 thin vertical lines appearing on my screen. The number of lines has slowly expanded in the last 4 months. I took my laptop to the genius bar and they told me that this is simply light pixels burning out and they could fix it but it would cost over $300.

Do all Mac computers have this problem after 3 years or so? Is there an alternate solution to the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Mike Ruggeri

xj6jaguar1985 10-08-2008 06:24 PM

Not ALL powerbooks have this problem.

ivanney 12-18-2008 02:45 AM

many of them yes, seems to be a factory problem.

parrandero 03-22-2009 12:39 PM

I had the vertical lines issue, and as I have been connecting my g4 to a lcd via svideo cable, everytime I went to system prefererence/display/detect display/ and played around with resolution/ after using my g4 to watch tv about 5 times i notice all horizontal and one line that ryn from the bottom left to the top right gone. I notice the last line mention only came out when watching tv. so far this is my 6 day and the vertical lines have not appear.

chscag 03-22-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelruggeri (Post 737464)
I have a 3 year old G4 laptop. I now have 4 thin vertical lines appearing on my screen. The number of lines has slowly expanded in the last 4 months. I took my laptop to the genius bar and they told me that this is simply light pixels burning out and they could fix it but it would cost over $300.

Do all Mac computers have this problem after 3 years or so? Is there an alternate solution to the problem?

This is a defect that could occur with any LCD screen not necessarily your G4 notebook. I've even seen it occur on a new LCD monitor fresh out of the box.

There is no alternate solution to repairing the display other than replacing it.

Regards.

sinsun 04-16-2009 07:36 AM

Defect hardware devices?

A lot of theories go about the graphics card, and I guess they may be right from time to time.
But, I had for 9 months or so purple horizontal lines coming and going on my 4+ years PB g4 alu, and I noticed they especially would turn up when gif/flash ads containing a lot of orange were showing in a browser.
From time to time the screen would also go entirely black, and, a few weeks ago, it would suddenly just go to sleep mode.

I opened my PowerBook (have done it before, when replacing HD), and noticed after a day or two that it went to sleep every time I covered the LEFT light sensor. Hah. After some searching, it turned out that removing the RIGHT light sensor solved it all. Light sensors are now deactivated, but so what, I have ordered a new right light sensor, and I have not seen the pink/purple lines ever again.
My PB has a ATI 9700 card.

Just an idea that I hope might be useful for someone.