meowcarrot
    Unhappy an epic 3 years....
    After a random shutdown last night I can only assume that my iBook has gone in for the big sleep.

Right before the 1 year mark, it started showing issues with the monitor. Since it was a 02/01 model, it`s not covered by the logic board repair goodness. They wanted $700, I told them to fix it another way. The cable to the monitor and the hinges were replaced.

On it`s second birthday the issue reappeared. This time, out of warrenty and luck, I took it to the local Mac store where I was told I could have some (shady) out of warrenty work done by a former Apple tech for about a quarter of the cost of sending it to Apple. Two days later it`s back and working like a new computer.

In August I started to notice that if it was on for a long time and I moved it the screen would freeze (and in rare instances it would shut down). Since I moved to Japan that month it couldn`t go to Apple. The problem sorted itself, reappearing only periodically (not even once a month) and was usually sorted by a hard shutdown and letting it cool. From time to time the battery needed to be removed. At this point (somewhere), I upgraded to 10.3.6, then .7, the power adapter cord started to crack right where it goes into the adapter and into the computer, and the battery stopped showing a full charge (only about 10%).

Last night it had been on for about 12 hours when my little brother was using it. I don`t know if he moved it or what, but it shut down on him. Removing the battery for some time didn`t work, nor did trying to boot from the battery w/o adapter nor adapter w/o battery. It`s been 17 hours now, and no change. The power adapter is orange, but the battery doesn`t seem to be charging. It won`t boot up, the hdd doesn`t even start when I hit power.

Does anyone have any thoughts/hopeful words before I send my iBook to computer heaven? Also, any tips on getting my data?

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Maybe try starting from a different power adapter would work?

Or reset the pram and PMU? (just search the forums for the key combos to do those)

Oh and since it's an older model, I believe you still have a physical reset button somewhere...

Check apple's support pages for more information, but I think it's either my the headphone jack somewhere, or just under the keyboard..

meowcarrot
    Can't reset PRAM (can't boot) and resetting PMU didn't do anything. Thanks though.

I ordered a new power supply (luckly, maybe) two days ago. My current one shows an output of 21.5v. I know it's supposed to be 24v, but could someone else check theirs to see what they output? It is pretty close....

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Mine is 24V, 45W.

Hope you have a bit of luck!

meowcarrot
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich
    Mine is 24V, 45W.

Hope you have a bit of luck!
    You checked with a multimeter? Well, good thing I've got a new one on the way.

Thread Information