New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

an epic 3 years....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

meowcarrot

After a random shutdown last night I can only assume that my iBook has gone in for the big sleep.

Right before the 1 year mark, it started showing issues with the monitor. Since it was a 02/01 model, it`s not covered by the logic board repair goodness. They wanted $700, I told them to fix it another way. The cable to the monitor and the hinges were replaced.

On it`s second birthday the issue reappeared. This time, out of warrenty and luck, I took it to the local Mac store where I was told I could have some (shady) out of warrenty work done by a former Apple tech for about a quarter of the cost of sending it to Apple. Two days later it`s back and working like a new computer.

In August I started to notice that if it was on for a long time and I moved it the screen would freeze (and in rare instances it would shut down). Since I moved to Japan that month it couldn`t go to Apple. The problem sorted itself, reappearing only periodically (not even once a month) and was usually sorted by a hard shutdown and letting it cool. From time to time the battery needed to be removed. At this point (somewhere), I upgraded to 10.3.6, then .7, the power adapter cord started to crack right where it goes into the adapter and into the computer, and the battery stopped showing a full charge (only about 10%).

Last night it had been on for about 12 hours when my little brother was using it. I don`t know if he moved it or what, but it shut down on him. Removing the battery for some time didn`t work, nor did trying to boot from the battery w/o adapter nor adapter w/o battery. It`s been 17 hours now, and no change. The power adapter is orange, but the battery doesn`t seem to be charging. It won`t boot up, the hdd doesn`t even start when I hit power.

Does anyone have any thoughts/hopeful words before I send my iBook to computer heaven? Also, any tips on getting my data?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Maybe try starting from a different power adapter would work?

Or reset the pram and PMU? (just search the forums for the key combos to do those)

Oh and since it's an older model, I believe you still have a physical reset button somewhere...

Check apple's support pages for more information, but I think it's either my the headphone jack somewhere, or just under the keyboard..
QUOTE Thanks
meowcarrot

Can't reset PRAM (can't boot) and resetting PMU didn't do anything. Thanks though.

I ordered a new power supply (luckly, maybe) two days ago. My current one shows an output of 21.5v. I know it's supposed to be 24v, but could someone else check theirs to see what they output? It is pretty close....
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Mine is 24V, 45W.

Hope you have a bit of luck!
QUOTE Thanks
meowcarrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Mine is 24V, 45W.

Hope you have a bit of luck!
You checked with a multimeter? Well, good thing I've got a new one on the way.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerBook battery question | ibook 300 lost password, os install HELP!! »