Awesome!  Broken Screen...Applecare question
    Specs:
    Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
    Awesome! Broken Screen...Applecare question
    Ok, so my screen is cracked. I am guessing that Applecare probably won't cover it....

BUT, I don't really want to pay Apple to put in a $700 screen, and I am pretty sure that if I put in a screen myself it will void the warranty/Applecare. So will Apple put in a screen that I buy...say off of eBay??

I don't think the outside of the screen is cracked, but probably the LCD portion is...I wonder if they would cover this?

Yeah... I don't see that happening. A 3rd-party shop might though.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    Yeah, but if a 3rd party does it, it will void the Apple Care anyway....

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    If breaking the screen was to due to something you did and not covered under applecare, then you probably will come out ahead by doing it yourself. That will not void the warranty on the remainder of the machine, just the LCD.

If you have Apple replace the LCD at your expense, they will warrant the new LCD. Of course, expect to pay more if Apple does the job.

Also, replacing an LCD screen is not as easy as it looks. Go to iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories and get an idea of what it involves. Something else to remember is that your airport antenna assembly is behind the LCD screen.

Regards.

Yeah, Apple will only put in and insure a screen that they sell, I doubt they would put in a screen you bought somewhere else.

alternatively, if you really wanted you could forget the warranty and pay much less to have installed a non-Apple screen. i'm not sure how the warranty would work:if the company says they'll insure the new screen, they will, but im not sure if apple will still cover the rest of the computer (because who knows if the monitor could break the rest of it)

good luck!

Specs:
    I sent it to iResQ. I found them on eBay. $229 and they installed the exact screen in the Macbook...I sent it out Tuesday and it is being delivered today. (shipping to me was $40 for overnight)...I will update once I get it today and let you know of my experience.

Also, iResQ will not void your AppleCare

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy_monkey View Post
    I sent it to iResQ. I found them on eBay. $229 and they installed the exact screen in the Macbook...I sent it out Tuesday and it is being delivered today. (shipping to me was $40 for overnight)...I will update once I get it today and let you know of my experience.

Also, iResQ will not void your AppleCare
    +1000 on iresq. Those guys are awesome. Apple wanted $1400 to replace the screen on my 15" MBP. iresq did it shipped overnight for $339.

I'd use these guys again in a heartbeat. I learned about them from the Apple store.

Talking New Screen
    Thanks for the info on your experience. I just bought a MBA and I am scared to death that that could happen.

Glad you got your computer back fast. It's like losing an arm not having yours around, huh? LOL
    A Mac

Thread Information