New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Help! Updates left my G4 a blinking mess

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ickneb9

ickneb9 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I've had my ibook G4 since 2005. I run OSX Tiger (10.4.11). Today installed some updates: iTunes 8, the newest version of Quiktime, the newest security update and an update for flash player.

I re-started my laptop and iTunes would not open, so I shut my computer down and started it back up.

Upon restarting all of the icons on the desktop blinked, and the computer did not respond to mouse clicks. I tried a safe boot, but I could not type my password and was summarily delivered to the inexperienced computer-manīs worst nightmare: the black command screen with 'command not supported' written at the top. I shut it down again, and then tried a p ram restart, but I still got the blinking icons and non-responsive comp.

Any ideas? I think itīs weird that installation of 4 items would trigger this blinking, and I refuse to believe this is the death knell of a pretty healthy laptop, however old.

Any help MUCH appreciated. Thanks,
Bob O
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Try booting from the Tiger install DVD and run Repair Disk from there, reboot and see if you get the system to load. Many reported problems with iTunes 8 and Apple has released 8.0.1.

Keep us posted.
QUOTE Thanks
ickneb9

Thanks for the response. Before I had read it, I found what is apparently a partial solution: in single-user mode I did all the applejack cleanups (repair disk, repair permissions, cleanup cache files, validate preference files, and remove swap files). Is this the same thing as running Repair Disk from the OSX installation dvd?

Continuing Problems:
After this my laptop didn't blink, I could use most apps and OSX booted up right. But: when the screen saver comes on the screen blinks. When I tried to change the screen saver in system preferences, the program quit, and I got the "quit unexpectedly" window (but only under "screen saver"; I can manipulate the "desktop"). Also, quicktime and iTunes (still) won't open; incidentally, I get the same "program quit unexpectedly" window when I try to open them, too.

So, should I still run Repair Disk from the OSX dvd? I was also thinking of just re-installing OSX, b/c of the problems with System Preferences + the Quicktime and iTunes problems.

Thanks again for any and all advice. Will keep tryin'.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Run repair disk and fix permissions from the install DVD. Try that first before thinking of re-installing

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
ickneb9

Thanks for the help. was not able to repair disk from installation DVD. I was able to fix disk permissions, but only from the hard drive, not from the the installation DVD. I still have the same problems that I had before.
QUOTE Thanks
ickneb9

Tried a lot of stuff and nothing worked, so I re-installed OSX. Now everything is running fine; although I am afraid to update to the newest version of iTunes (8.0.8) again since that, in addition to the quicktime update that came with it, seemed to be the cause of the problem.

Anybody think that maybe the cause of the problem was that in the installation update sent to me I was sent the Leopard version of Quicktime? ...and that that caused it? Just a thought.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No keyboard, no trackpad, no display, stuck in Clamshell Closed | Keyboard not settling right. »