New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

99% charged

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marshack@mac.co

OK I have had my powbook for a little over 3 weeks and I did the drain the battery and then charge it thing. But when I let it charge it never goes to 100% it always stays at 99% is this normal?
QUOTE Thanks
oldnews

oldnews is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz

My Ibook does the same thing, and sometimes while its plugged in it will go down a few percent. Is keeping my Ibook plugged in causing a problem?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnews
My Ibook does the same thing, and sometimes while its plugged in it will go down a few percent. Is keeping my Ibook plugged in causing a problem?
as long as you unplug once every couple of weeks and lert the batt totally drain til the ibook dies and shuts itself down, thewn replug it back in to start charging or using, it wont cause a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

since we are talking about bateries, any body know how many cycles the powerbook batery has, cycle= loosing and recharging until it hits 100%, is it a couple thousand, or hundred before it starts loosing power?

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshack@mac.co
OK I have had my powbook for a little over 3 weeks and I did the drain the battery and then charge it thing. But when I let it charge it never goes to 100% it always stays at 99% is this normal?
Yes, this is normal.

This is what I found on the Apple site…

PowerBook G4, iBook battery does not show a full charge in Mac OS X

Some PowerBook G4 and iBook computers may not show the battery as 100 percent charged in Mac OS X, even when the power adapter is plugged in. The battery appears to stop charging between 95 percent and 99 percent.

This is normal. The batteries used in these computers are designed to avoid short discharge/charge cycles in order to prolong the overall life of the battery. Because of this, when setting the Mac OS X battery status menu bar icon to display charge state by percentage, you may notice that the reported charge stays between 95 percent and 99 percent. When the battery level eventually drops below 95 percent, it will charge all the way to 100 percent.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
CJ064

CJ064 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro

mine does the same thing i was worried at first but thats good to know.
QUOTE Thanks
LastZion

LastZion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS

Is there anyway to change that setting? Say make it drop down to 90 or even 85% before it starts charging again?

I'm just paraniod of having to replace the battery on these...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power light flashing green... oh no, now what? | Anyone got there rebate back from amazon? »