New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

konfabulator???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

Thinking of downloading konfabulator onto my ibook. Anyone have any opinions on this app either good or bad?

www.konfabulator.com
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

its useful for a lot of things. everything from radar maps for weather of your area, weather conditions, calendars, file converters, itunes remotes, all sorts of great stuff, games too, internet radio, ichat companions, cpu monitors and the like. almost anything you wann do with konfab, you can.
QUOTE Thanks
Danster

Thanks for the link i didn't really pay attention to konfab before and now that i have downloaded it it's great i hate always having to go to activity moniter everytime to see whats making my Mac go mad :p
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I used Konfab for quite a long time on my powerbook, but I finally got rid of it because it really taxed my system.. all those widgits use up a lot of resources, especially on a portable and can really get that fun humming. I don't use it on my new iMac because I have realized that I really did not need all the widgits that I was using.. so I don't use it at all anymore
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

I do often find myself cleaning out widgets I no longer use, I mean you can only have so many remote controls for itunes before it gets ridiculous. but I do use it for things like weather, forecast, mail, cpu usage, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

I went ahead and downloaded it, i really like the weather and the itunes alarm clock. I did notice it uses a lot of resources though, think I'll give it a few days and decide whether to keep it, thanks for the help all.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

this costs money yes?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

yes, it costs money.
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

There is a free trial period, byt then yes it costs money, $25 I think. As it turns out the creator of konfabulator had a lawsuit against apple claiming that Apple copied his konfabulator for the OS Tiger's dashboard.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Which is rubbish as apple had a desktop widgets in one of their older OS's long before konfabulator came out..
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

Well yeah the lawsuit was trashed and the knofabulator guy said he doesnt see his product surviving much longer, so if you are planning on buying a subscription to Konfab, you may want to wait for tiger. Seems to me that with the new dashboard, updates and support for konfab is gonna take a nosedive.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

i heard the same, might not be prudent to purchase it when tiger comes out
QUOTE Thanks
ryanyogan

Im pretty sure konf.. will whip out some really cool widgets for a small price to stay alive. The ones that come pre installed on Tiger are pretty much all you could need, I personally can't wait for a dictionary, flight tracker, and weather that is all I need.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well they will most likely come out with a windows version where the competition will also be intense (1000's of crappy little apps that do similar stuff) but no one has a complete package like konfab has...
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

Knofab already has a windows version. my wife has it, the selection doesnt compare with what they have for mac, but it does the basics and then some.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB hubs? | Powerbook Apple Care question? »