New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Display Lid Replacement

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kevlar557

kevlar557 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster. Anyway, I just inherited a MBP from my brother who, shall I say, doesn't have much common sense. He got the top of the laptop laser etched, which I shall say, looks like total garbage. I want to replace it, and possibly get one etched correctly, but here in lies the problem. It has AppleCare on it, and it still has a long time on it, longer than I want to wait to change this out.

I was wondering if there is a way to either replace the lid without noticeably voiding the warranty, or if I can provide one with the computer to the apple store, and get it replaced without paying an arm and a leg.

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

kevlar557,

If you want to know what Apple folks think, just take it by an Apple Store and ask them. I expect they would be glad to change it for you, but probably at a pretty big price, perhaps as much as $800-$900, because it includes the display assembly. To avoid losing the warranty, you may just want to live with it until you can change it yourself...

Maybe some kind of covering on it, like an opaque skin...

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
kevlar557

kevlar557 is on a distinguished road

As far as I know, the display does not have to be replaced, I've seen the lid on powerbookmedic.com for $30 used, and $80 new.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Marks on Macbook | freezing? »