New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Virus?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sxeseis

sxeseis is an unknown at this point

The problem:

Recently about 3 months ago I noticed an issue on my macbook pro.

When I press F12 to view my widgets, I have a widget called iStat. I am sure many of you are familiar to this widget. It calculates process speeds, ram speeds, fan speeds, and much more.

Under the processes category I would notice something named "WindowSer".

It would be between 30-50% when I press F12, then after a few seconds go down to 0-3%. As if it knew when I was noticing it and when I was not. I witnessed this happening throughout the summer.

Just recently I rebooted my computer "WindowSer" was at 100% and would not go down. Even when I pressed F12 to view my widgets and starred at it.

My computer ran very slowly and have no idea what happened. It has been a few days now of leaving my computer alone and now I have rebooted it again. It has given me enough time to write this.

Is this a virus of some sort?

Some things you might want to know:
-Had bootcamp with windows XP for a year or so, but only used the windows for probably 3-4 hours period.
-Mac OSX Leopard
-Macbook Pro
-2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
-2 GB SDRAM
-Latest version of iStat
-Current activity of WindowSer = 30%-6%

please let me know what you can do to help me out.

Thanks!!!
QUOTE Thanks
davidsword

davidsword is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook

WindowSer I belive is window service the gui handler thing of os x... read moar: http://www.google.com/search?q=WindowSer+os+x

its no virus, its a huge part of os x, I always thought it was windows server until I looked into it last week lol
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« or PowerBook: help with selecting a notebook | Speck case scratched my MB! Now what? »