Question or PowerBook: help with selecting a notebook
    All right, so I have been looking at notebooks for quite a long time. I started off looking mainly at the Dell Inspiron line, but none of the reviews were all too great, and I don't much like Dell anyway.

So then I had a sudden flash of inspiration, and started researching Mac laptops. The first model I looked at was a really old iBook, just because it was cheap, but I very quickly decided it was too slow and old to fit my needs.

Next I started looking at the PowerBook G4, which is still old but seems to be a pretty stable model, according to the reviews. It also has fairly decent spec.

Finally, I've been examining the new(er) MacBook line, but the two newest ones are too expensive for me to purchase at the moment, so the only one i could really get is the original MacBook.

Basically, then, this broils down to a choice between two good notebooks: the PowerBook G4 or the MacBook?

I expect to be doing an awful lot of Internet work on it, using the AT&T DataConnect service. I will also be doing some hardcore gaming on it, so it needs to have a good enough graphics card and memory to run relatively new games. And since I am a hobbyist computer programmer, I'll probably be running compilers and such programs on it a lot.

Basically I'm asking for an educated decision: which of these two would be best for me?

Thanks in advance!

-Orion

Through the Force, all things are possible ... there is no emotion, there is peace ... my mind has set me free ...

Specs:
    MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS
    Hardcore gaming? That's not what Macs are known for...but either way, I think the MAcBook would be the better choice. Very reliable and powerful at the same time. Internet and multiple windows/apps open never or rarely crash.

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Don't the powerbooks have a dedicated graphic card though? Macbook has to share it's RAM with video so I doubt you will have any fun doing hardcore gaming.

OK, I guess that was a bad choice of words ... I won't exactly be doing hardcore gaming. More along the lines of occasionally playing, say, Age of Empires or Civilization 3, and never for very long.

I'm pretty sure the PowerBook is the one with the dedicated graphics card, but then MacBook is newer and probably more powerful.

Through the Force, all things are possible ... there is no emotion, there is peace ... my mind has set me free ...

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Get what you need and makes you happy. ^-^

Umm, thanks I guess... ^^

Thread Information