Mac Forums

Mac Forums (
-   Apple Notebooks (
-   -   Dead MacBook (

brad451 09-06-2008 10:40 AM

Dead MacBook
My mother-in-law just gave me her dead MacBook to look at. She says she spilled a cup of coffee on it. It worked for another 2 days and then just went dead. I just opened it up thinking I would have to put a new logic board in there, but there is no, I mean zero evidence of a coffee spill. No a single dried brown drop of coffee to be found. Suggestions?? Has anyone faced this before?? Help please.

Sherman Homan 09-06-2008 11:04 AM

Well, even if you can't see any evidence, obviously something bad happened. :Grimmace:
Did you really get down to the logic board? Hit for really excellent instructions. I would put it in front of a fan for a full two days of dry out.
Seems the most common problem with water/coffee/beer is the battery. While it is drying out, find a friend who will let you test it out.

brad451 09-06-2008 02:21 PM

Yep. I totally disassembled since I was going to just replace the logic board. (Don't have the new one yet.) Computer is totally dried out. This happened a few weeks ago. I was expecting to see some corrosion from the acid in the coffee or at least some coffee spots. But nothing. Battery, as far as I can tell, is working. It has a full charge to it. Is it possible that the power switch itself is damaged?

Sherman Homan 09-06-2008 03:03 PM

Yes, it is pretty hard to diagnose water related problems. Some itty bitty wire can short out, water evaporates, no evidence of the crime. Good luck with this!

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.