New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - How to keep macbook on when its is closed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ragamp

ragamp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook-2Ghz-160HD-2gbRAM

Hey guys i forgot how to keep the my macbook laptop on while keeping it closed. I use an external monitor via mini DVI and connect it to 24 inch monitor. So i don't ever really look at my laptop screen. How do I keep it on with the laptop closed?
QUOTE Thanks
tkim

tkim will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragamp View Post
Hey guys i forgot how to keep the my macbook laptop on while keeping it closed. I use an external monitor via mini DVI and connect it to 24 inch monitor. So i don't ever really look at my laptop screen. How do I keep it on with the laptop closed?
Look for a program called insomnia. I believe that keeps it from sleeping even though it's closed. I'd link it for ya but I'm at work

Also, you may want to use with caution. The Macbook dissipates heat through the keyboard so you may want to look at alternatives to keep it cool while closed.

Use not abuse the rep system!
QUOTE Thanks
davidg14

davidg14 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini, 20" Cinema, wireless keyboard and mouse.

InsomniaX!

http://semaja2.net/insomniaxinfo/

For sale: 15" MBP Late 2007. 2.4GHZ, 2GB, 8600M GT 256MB, 160GB. Please PM.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragamp View Post
Don't use software to keep your MacBook on when the lid is closed. For one, heat is dissipated partially up through the keyboard by convection. Keeping the lid closed all the time will raise the temperature a few degrees. For short periods of time it should be OK. Long term, not recommended.

You can operate your MacBook in clam shell mode easily:

1. Purchase an Apple external keyboard. ($49.99) and any good quality mouse. (I use a Logitech wired optical which cost $15.00 at Wal-Mart)

2. Hook up your external monitor via DVI or VGA mini cable. Attach the external keyboard to the MacBook and the mouse to the USB port on the keyboard.

3. Go into display preferences and set your external monitor to mirror mode and the correct native resolution.

4. Keep the external monitor off.

5. Close the lid of your MacBook and let it go to sleep.

6. Tap a key on the external keyboard. The MacBook wakes up but its internal monitor remains off.

7. Turn on the external monitor. It should display in its native resolution.

8. Open the lid on your MacBook. The internal monitor should remain off.

I do the exact same thing as above when I use my MacBook at home. It functions as a desktop.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
ragamp

ragamp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook-2Ghz-160HD-2gbRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Don't use software to keep your MacBook on when the lid is closed. For one, heat is dissipated partially up through the keyboard by convection. Keeping the lid closed all the time will raise the temperature a few degrees. For short periods of time it should be OK. Long term, not recommended.

1. Purchase an Apple external keyboard. ($49.99) and any good quality mouse. (I use a Logitech wired optical which cost $15.00 at Wal-Mart)

2. Hook up your external monitor via DVI or VGA mini cable. Attach the external keyboard to the MacBook and the mouse to the USB port on the keyboard.

3. Go into display preferences and set your external monitor to mirror mode and the correct native resolution.

6. Tap a key on the external keyboard. The MacBook wakes up but its internal monitor remains off.

I do the exact same thing as above when I use my MacBook at home. It functions as a desktop.

Regards.
Thank You, that exactly what i needed to know. I do have an external logitech wireless mouse and keyboard, and i want to function my laptop as desktop too. thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
MattP.

MattP. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post

Regards.
Excellent post! I had the same question, and this answered is perfectly.
QUOTE Thanks
Deme

Deme is on a distinguished road

Hiya!
I've followed the instructions but the quality of the monitor is still very poor.
Here are the tricks:
My computer: Macbook pro 2,66 GHz Intel Core i7 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
My monitor: Samsung HDTV 50000:1 SyncMaster P2270HD
The connexion between both: HDMI
What I can see is that the monitor has 1900x1080 resolution and Mac´s maximum is 1600x900. I could not seen any option on the monitor to change this.
What I am doing wrong please??
Thank you for reading me.
Deme
QUOTE Thanks
doc7701

doc7701 is on a distinguished road

For some reason, when I use mirrored displays, it won't let my tv/monitor use it's native 1080p resolution - even though I set it in displays. So if you want your large display to look good do not turn on mirror displays.

What worked for me was to add the display preference to the menu bar, and then select 1080p for the monitor and the 900x1280 for the macbook pro screen. Then close the lid, and let the macbook go to sleep. press a key on your keyboard to wake up your computer and whala! my 26" display is full screen in it's native 1080p resolution. Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
vect97

vect97 is on a distinguished road

What you can do is look open the display settings on the mac. Then while you have your monitor or tv plugged in, look at the monitor options. There will be something called underscan. You can adjust this to make it fit your monitor as close as possible. hope that helps. In the meantime, I'm still looking for a quick way to close the lid without buying stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

All you have to do is turn the screen brightness all the way down via the "F1" key and if you have a MacBook Pro, turn the keyboard brightness all the way down via the "F5" key. I do this when I hook my MBP up to my TV to watch movies.

- ImageX

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
dmccloud

dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
All you have to do is turn the screen brightness all the way down via the "F1" key and if you have a MacBook Pro, turn the keyboard brightness all the way down via the "F5" key. I do this when I hook my MBP up to my TV to watch movies.

- ImageX
The only issue with doing it that way is that the graphics chip is still driving both monitors, meaning more RAM and resources are being used. In clamshell mode, the internal monitor is disabled, freeing up those resources. This is a bigger concern on models with integrated chipsets for obvious reasons.

-------------------------------------------------
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
cworth

cworth is on a distinguished road

As people have said, just plug in the monitor and external keyboard and power cord and click a key on the keyboard. This allows your laptop video display to really sleep and your CPU and GPU are free to do their awesome things.

My addition: You must be plugged in (not on battery) to do this. Yes it works on Lion and a 2011 Macbook Pro, but only if it's plugged in ! Hadn't been mentioned yet on this thread, and seein as it's the first one that pops up on Google, it should be.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cworth View Post
As people have said, just plug in the monitor and external keyboard and power cord and click a key on the keyboard. This allows your laptop video display to really sleep and your CPU and GPU are free to do their awesome things.

My addition: You must be plugged in (not on battery) to do this. Yes it works on Lion and a 2011 Macbook Pro, but only if it's plugged in ! Hadn't been mentioned yet on this thread, and seein as it's the first one that pops up on Google, it should be.

Good post. I was just about to say what you said. None of the other suggestions really hold any weight in terms of getting the native resolution to display properly and such. Just make sure the MacBook pro is plugged in, close the lid and wake it up with a keyboard tap.

Also, if using a Bluetooth keyboard, make sure that in Bluetooth settings the option to wake is enabled.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Stiebel Elton

Stiebel Elton is on a distinguished road

Hey guys I didn't see if it works using wireless mouse n keyboard?... It's important
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

I use a wireless Apple magic mouse, track pad, and keyboard. Works fine. I use a 27" Apple monitor with my 2010 MB Pro 15". Just connect the Apple cables and Viola, no tweaking, magic, extra software at all. Just shut the MB Pro and the screen is activated automatically with that on the MB Pro automatically turning off. I use a resolution of 2560x1440 and the monitor is sharper than a tack.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro Liquid Damage - Out of Ideas; Help? | HDMI USB Support »