New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Water/Beer Damage - won't switch on... is replacement keyboard good enough fix?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Beliblis

Beliblis is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I accidentally spilled beer on the top right hand side of the keyboard. At first I thought it won't matter too much (like on a G3 Powerbook, where the keyboard is completely sealed underneath).

I let it dry out upside down. Macbook booted OK. Sticky keys. Next time it didn't switch on. 1h later it worked ok, but I noticed the login-screen looked a bit hazy/low contrast & low resolution for a second. Literally only for a second, then it went back to normal.
Next day, the macbook didin't boot up anymore. Dead, not even a "ping" tone. Looks like there is no electricity coming in. When I attach the power supply, it stays on green light (though it wasn't fully charged last time I turned it off).

So I disassembled it & looked inside. From what I can tell: no damage on the motherboard (visually that is). I gave the keyboard & power button a good rinse with Isoprop alcohol from both sides. But it's still dead.

Question now: I saw replacement keyboard units on ebay for not too much money. But I also heard that on G3 laptops, there was some sort of fuse outside the keyboard unit, and that this fuse might be blown.

Is this true / Has the Macbook got the same kind of fuse outside the keyboard unit? If so: Where is it located??

Thanks a lot for your help with this!
Beliblis
QUOTE Thanks
freddie4

freddie4 is on a distinguished road

I have the exact same problem only with orange juice and there is not even a green light on the power supply when I plug it in. I was about to take it apart when I read your post. I hope there is an easy solution. I just noticed quite a few hits when I googled "macbook no power after spill" so i guess i'll go read those.
Thanks for any assistance.
QUOTE Thanks
freddie4

freddie4 is on a distinguished road

http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-noteb...1/beer-damage/

http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-noteb...r-beer-liquid/
QUOTE Thanks
artic_fox

artic_fox is on a distinguished road

Water hit this macbook on a camping trip and soaked it while it was in sleep mode and charging. Only 7 months old!

Now after waiting 4 days of drying in <30% Colorado humidity we tried to start it up and the only thing that would light is the apple symbol in the cover even when plugged into the AC power supply.

The only power it appears to be using is from the battery because when the batt is removed and AC is plugged in, nothing lights, nada.

Can a macbook even start without a battery and just rely on AC to power up? Or does it need the batt to complete the circuit?

Problem is that the power supply light doesn't even glow orange or green when connected. Is there a fuse in the cord power box (the white 3"x3" box) inline to the magnetic connector? or another fuse that may have saved this unit from a nasty death? ANY help is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by artic_fox View Post
Water hit this macbook on a camping trip and soaked it while it was in sleep mode and charging. Only 7 months old!

Now after waiting 4 days of drying in <30% Colorado humidity we tried to start it up and the only thing that would light is the apple symbol in the cover even when plugged into the AC power supply.

The only power it appears to be using is from the battery because when the batt is removed and AC is plugged in, nothing lights, nada.

Can a macbook even start without a battery and just rely on AC to power up? Or does it need the batt to complete the circuit?

Problem is that the power supply light doesn't even glow orange or green when connected. Is there a fuse in the cord power box (the white 3"x3" box) inline to the magnetic connector? or another fuse that may have saved this unit from a nasty death? ANY help is appreciated.
You don't need batteries for the MB to work. You can just have it plugged in, but if for some reason the AC is removed, instant shut down.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
artic_fox

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Take the machine into Apple and see if it is worth spending money on. Water/beer/orange juice etc on logic boards in often fatal.
QUOTE Thanks
MBasile

MBasile has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo

Was it at least GOOD beer?
QUOTE Thanks
Jakew903

Jakew903 can only hope to improve

It sounds as if you shorted a wire, maybe to the power supply? I'm not a Macbook repair guy, so don't quote me on that.

1. Dell XPS M1530: 250GB HD, 4GB's Ram.
2. Macintosh Macbook: 320 GB HD, 4 GB's Ram.
3. Macintosh Black Macbook: 250 GB HD, 4 GB's Ram.
4. Macintosh Macbook Pro 15": 320 GB HD, 8 GB's Ram.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
No fuse. As harryb hinted, the logic board probably shorted out. Or at the least, the power supply input shorted out. Either way, you're looking at an expensive repair. Sorry, but it may not be economical to repair unless you can do the work yourself.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
artic_fox

No fuse, unreal. I would have expected more from Apple. By 2009 you would expect something like liquids to easily fry a laptop to be difficult thing to do. Maybe it's time for that patent to be rolled out huh? God this is gonna hurt the wallet. Thanks for your help gang.
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

I'm fixing up a Macbook that someone spilled beer on. Upon realizing what had happened, he immediately turned it off and turned it upside-down to dry. I opened it up and cleaned some corrosion off the board. The power button doesn't always work right away, but the computer can power on (unfortunately the keyboard and touchpad are dead). My guess is that the beer only damaged the keyboard and touchpad, so I'm going to try replacing it.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

rustyk123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

all apple laptops are prone to water damage once it has happened there is not much you can do. you either must be very careful and protective, not have liquids around your system, or become very rich and not care.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just bought this Hard Drive...any thoughts/opinions? | Need help buying a new laptop »