New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Is This Normal

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MeanChad

MeanChad is on a distinguished road

I got a 17" macbook pro and when I open and close the screen at a certain angle I hear a little click I was wondering if some of you guys have this Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Is that the hooks dropping down into the latch mechanism?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MeanChad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Is that the hooks dropping down into the latch mechanism?
No the screen isn't even close to where the screen latches down.
QUOTE Thanks
MeanChad

?????
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Mine has been "clicking" when I close the screen for a couple months...
It started where I had to close the screen slowly/a couple of times for it to do it. Now it does it all the time.

I have not really worried about it though...

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
MeanChad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
Mine has been "clicking" when I close the screen for a couple months...
It started where I had to close the screen slowly/a couple of times for it to do it. Now it does it all the time.

I have not really worried about it though...
Mine only makes 1 click at a certain angle its not loud at all i dont know if this is just how some are I dont know??
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

The MacBook Pro, and normal MacBook do not have latches, well the newer versions anyway. They close magnetically. So if I'm correct you are hearing the magnets. It's nothing to worry about.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTeeple View Post
The MacBook Pro, and normal MacBook do not have latches, well the newer versions anyway. They close magnetically. So if I'm correct you are hearing the magnets. It's nothing to worry about.
The MacBook Pro does indeed have latches. They are two little hooks that drop down magnetically from the lid and drop into two holes at the very edge of the palmrest. They do make a barely audible click when dropping, although the OP doesn't believe this is related because it occurs in a position where the hooks are nowhere close to having dropped.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MeanChad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
The MacBook Pro does indeed have latches. They are two little hooks that drop down magnetically from the lid and drop into two holes at the very edge of the palmrest. They do make a barely audible click when dropping, although the OP doesn't believe this is related because it occurs in a position where the hooks are nowhere close to having dropped.
Yes it occurs at a certain angle when the screen is not even near where the screen latches down!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is It Time For A Replacement Battery? | a Cd's stuck in my macbook »