New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

So I'm almost dead set on getting a 12" iBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stephen.sharpe

Hi guys,

I've decided that I quite like the iBook 12" as I am looking to buy a laptop between now and February.

I'm basically wanting some final opinions. All the reviews seem good.

My budget is enough for the book itself and a ram upgrade, so thats all in hand. I'm a student who mainly uses his machine for schoolwork, office tasks and internetting. Odd game, maybe... but not often. Stability and durability is more important to me. I also need it to last me a good few years. Do you think I've picked the right notebook?

My first impressions on test driving it were good. Although the trackpad seemed alittle unresponsive. Though I'm guessing thats either because it was either a) ex display and has been hammered b) needed an extre 256mb RAM or so,

So, opinions please

Regards,

Stephen

P.S. Its very neat looking to. And crystal clear screen. I assume that the screen angle can be adjusted smoothly?
QUOTE Thanks
code777

buy it! now!

yes the track pads at the stores are destroyed so you can't judge it from that. mine works fine.

get that extra RAM, min of 512 total! from what you said the iBook will suit you good for at least 3yrs. Its a reall good value at 999 for an Apple. Airport installed already, you are golden.

The only thing I hear people complain about on the stock 12" is the HDD. Some people like lots of space and feel 30 is not enough.

more people will chime in soon...
QUOTE Thanks
stephen.sharpe

Sweet. I think 30 will be enough for me... I don't use any humungous programs or music collections.

I can't get it just yet (money) but should be able to very soon.

Apple aren't gonna release a revision any time soon are they?

And what about the screen? Is it a single-angle tilt, or a smooth any-position one?
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

any posotion... i just got my ibook... ahh it is amazing i had read reviews about the trackpad giving problems... but as for know it is way better than the majority stated it to be (opinion). as for know the only major problem is the fact that the family is getting on to me..becasue i wont leaven this ting alone. but how can you.
also its funny casue my uncle he is like some big PC guy well i tought him every thing he knows and i work form him. kinda weird. but yea he laughs at me for buying a mc when theyhave a horrible OS lol i loaugh and then try to tell him that OSX is a much better os over all comapred to windows and he dosnt listen.... did i mention he isn afraid of change...
also aty apples online stor you can put up to 80 gig hd so yea ir amble dont i
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.sharpe
Apple aren't gonna release a revision any time soon are they?
They just revised it about a month ago - they won't do another revision until well after June, I bet.
QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

Get the ibook asap!
QUOTE Thanks
stephen.sharpe

Cool. You guys have convinced me. Now I just gotta get that money
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

Bought mine yesterday, I got a 14in though, but I spoke to the apple rep. ibooks were just updated last month, all the stores and online are shipping the revised ones now. I was gonna wait till they started shipping with tiger, but the rep said tiger isn't expected anytime soon, sometime between the end of january and the end of June he said. So no reason to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
stephen.sharpe

I have a reason to wait. Lack of money
QUOTE Thanks
stephen.sharpe

I'm probably over worrying now... but i read somewhere that the iBook has a heat issue to the left of the trackpad. It seemed to me that this was either a) older models or b) powerbook confusion. Would be grateful if someone could reassure me on this.

Stephen
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

The ibook does get warm, hot is pushing it, warm would be a bit more acurate. It is not warm enough to cause any major issues though. I found that an icurve works to reduce the heat a little. My 14" got no hotter than my wife's gateway laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
serrot

my 12" ibook just came in the mail yesterday and i'm loving it.
i got a 60 gb hard drive upgrade and i'll be upgrading the RAM later.

warm is definitely the way to put it,not hot.

--caro
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Another reason to like the iBook is the fact that it's plastic, so it doesn't conduct heat as well as the 12-inch PowerBook (which, I'm told actually uses the aluminum case itself to dissipate a portion of the heat.)

Ack.
QUOTE Thanks
stephen.sharpe

Cool, thanks for that

Now all I've got to decide is: bluetooth or no bluetooth. I have a BT phone, but I dunno if its gonna be *that* much use.
QUOTE Thanks
Slilock

Slilock is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Buying One Soon...

I love my 12" iBook I bought in November. Like others said the only down side is the 30GB hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« airport card question | Battery life? »